cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying J Anomalies

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve just about completed a XC trip on I-80 from Sacramento to suburban Chicago. the last leg will be from Davenport IA either tomorrow or the day after.

we usually gas up at Flying J because many of them have RV islands which is a great convenience. we’re quite used to gsssing at other locations but the RV islands make it a lot easier.

During the run on 80 we discovered fueling problems at some of the FJ Travel Plazas and i thought i’d pass them on to the group. you’re welcome.

Wells, NV: the RV islands only provide 85-octane and diesel. if you want anything else you’ll need the other pumps.

Avoca, IA: ALL gas pumps are out of service due to construction. AFAIK the diesel pumps in the truck area are in service.

Davenport IA: the RV lanes are closed. it looked like one of the pumps had been struck and nearly knocked off its base.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
8 REPLIES 8

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And most of the time a station near by will be $1.00 a gal cheaper. Last time I filled up I saved $.25 a gal just by crossing the street. DP took 90gal and saved $22.50. I try to avoid truck stops.

you're referring to diesel...we have a gasser and find the FJ pricing competitive. but for us the price is secondary to the convenience.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Flying J needs a lot of work on their RV lane pumps. Software glitches, card reader errors, pump display errors, are far too common. A few instructions on how to use the remote pump would be handy. Finding store managers who give a squat would be a start.

the last time we had a pump issue at a FJ was with one of the older "slave" pumps that wouldn't pump even though our card was accepted. we just pulled around to the other lane. can't recall any other pump,issues except maybe the receipt printers being out of paper.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Despite the odd issue at a few locations, we still like and frequent Flying J. They are our main go to when in need of fuel.
Seldom go near regular gas stations as many are a distance off the interstate and due to risk of damage because of our size/length.

X2.Not to mention all the other amenities FJ offers rv'ers you can't get at other stations.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
And most of the time a station near by will be $1.00 a gal cheaper. Last time I filled up I saved $.25 a gal just by crossing the street. DP took 90gal and saved $22.50. I try to avoid truck stops.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Despite the odd issue at a few locations, we still like and frequent Flying J. They are our main go to when in need of fuel.
Seldom go near regular gas stations as many are a distance off the interstate and due to risk of damage because of our size/length.
2010 Suncruiser

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J's are no longer on my radar -- to many issues . . . too many nasty stations. I;d rather pull into a regular gas station, and so far, haven't had an issue yet.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flying J needs a lot of work on their RV lane pumps. Software glitches, card reader errors, pump display errors, are far too common. A few instructions on how to use the remote pump would be handy. Finding store managers who give a squat would be a start.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some of the reasons that I stopped going to Flying J several years ago.
Check the fuel prices at other truck service plazas as many are less per gallon, are cleaner and more up to date.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker