cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J / RV Lanes

cecerecreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm finally healthy enough to get back on the road and I'm planning a family Road Trip to the Black Hills/ Rocky Mountain National Park this summer. My Son will be traveling with me in his brand new 30' Jayco Travel Trailer.He is a newbie when it comes to towing and I'm trying to plan fuel stops at Flying J's so he can easily negotiate the RV Fuel lanes. I note that the Flying J individual websites ( several that I have researched) do not mention RV Lanes and I wonder if they may have done away with them or I have unfortunately just run across a few that don't have RV Lanes ??? OR....did some of the Pilot take on the Flying J name....???
CecereCreek
"04" Newmar Scottsdale
"10" Chev Colorado
"93" Gold Wing
Have Clubs/Will Golf
Smith & Wesson "Security System"
28 REPLIES 28

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Flying J RV lanes too. They have a phone app which shows every station and which ones have RV lanes. If you have Good Sam or Flying J card,you get 5 cents of gas or 8 cents off diesel. Once you get off the interstates there are no Flying J's. That's one reason I got a diesel with an auxilary tank. Now I can use truck stops.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I try to avoid those truck stops just because of the high prices. 2 years ago in GA I pulled into a Loves and checked my gas buddy and 1/2 mile away I got diesel for $1.00 a gal cheaper. My DP and trailer were right at 73ft long and there was plenty of room. Saved $90.00 Its really a good idea to learn to jockey your rig around.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 28 foot TT fit nicely in all the gas lanes everywhere. Just lucky I guess

texacokat
Explorer
Explorer
Plus if you are a Good Sam member, you get 5 cents off.

I just mark on my map when we find the RV lanes. Hubby hates gas stations and loves the RV lanes!
Kathy & Scott
2018 Ford F-150 XLT
2018 Forest River Wildwood 27rks

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my gas truck I would use google earth and look down on the stations and look for stations that sat on corners where you use the end pumps. Pull in use end pump pull straight ahead and go out other entrance. Not needing to go by the front of the store. He will get to the point as he drives by them what to look for.
Jeff
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
You mentioned in your post that you will be visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. Just a heads up, there are no Flying J stations in the northern Colorado area that I'm aware of. Closest will be a Flying J and a Pilot in Cheyenne, WY near the I-25/I-80 interchange, or in the Denver/Aurora area off I-70. ..

the Pilot in Cheyenne has two long-vehicle fuel lanes off to the right of the auto pumps. EZ out as well. we fueled up there last august in our 40' class a + suv toad.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Flying J quite a bit early on, but stopped when they dropped the discount club.

Any big gas station should be usable with a 30' trailer. Some of the smaller gas stations work even better if the pumps are parallel to the road.

By all means, scout it out via Google Maps in the satellite view first. That alone has saved me from some ugly back-up moves. When we had our motorhome pulling our van, backing up simply wasn't an option...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mentioned in your post that you will be visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. Just a heads up, there are no Flying J stations in the northern Colorado area that I'm aware of. Closest will be a Flying J and a Pilot in Cheyenne, WY near the I-25/I-80 interchange, or in the Denver/Aurora area off I-70.

There's Johnson's Corners Truck Stop in Loveland, south of I-25/US 34 interchange that is set up for RVs. There's also a Sam's Club on US 34 (Eisenhower Blvd), that's fairly easy to get in/out of. In Estes Park, if I need fuel I always use the Conoco station at the Country Market at Mary's Lake Rd and Moraine Ave. Easy in/out, but it can be a busy intersection. There's also a Shell station and a Safeway Fuel station on US 34 (Big Thompson Ave) as you're coming in to the business section of Estes Park on the north side of the street -- easy in/out for either. Both are next to each other by the Safeway and the intersection with US 36. Expect resort type prices in Estes Park.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've yet to find a Flying J RV lane that was difficult to access or exit with our 55 ft motorhome and toad in many years of using them. Not all Flying J's have dedicated RV lanes though, in part because some stations are independent retailers, and also some are former Pilot stations that became Flying J's as part of the PFJ merger just as some Flying J's became Pilots complete with RV lanes. Some stations were sold to Loves as part of the FTC approval process as well, and may still have RV lanes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Love's in Williams, AZ is exactly what Larry cad is talking about. Even with my shorter TT its difficult since those pumps shuttle you directly into their store.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW my opinion of FJ RV fueling stations is they are no easier than the regular pumps, and in many cases, more difficult. The typical FJ RV fueling station is designed to funnel the customer out and toward the store and also straight into a car parked at the store. I've actually had to wait at a fueling station until the "customer" at the store left, and then I was able to pull out. Entirely possible he will run into that same situation. I've seen many trailers being pulled thru the regular pumps as most FJ sites have large and roomy parking lots.

It is a common problem RVers have with no easy solution except to get better at handling the tow.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bumpyroad wrote:
rk911 wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
You are aware that Flying j fuel prices are higher than other stations!

Even if they are higher, if they have an easy in/out where you donโ€™t clog up the parking lot, itโ€™s worth an extra few bucks.

+1. i'll prioritize convenience and EZ in/out over price everytime.

+3
bumpy

+4 . . Sometimes Ease of use and accessibility is priceless
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

Even if they are higher, if they have an easy in/out where you donโ€™t clog up the parking lot, itโ€™s worth an extra few bucks.

+3
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle