cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Smith to Phoenix - Backroads in November?

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to travel the back roads south of I40 from western AR to Phoenix just before Thanksgiving. Traveling in a Sprinter RV going; to make it a three day journey.

Forts Smith towards Wichita Falls - Lubbock - Roswell - Socorro - Hwy 60 and down to Phoenix.

There are numerous was to get across OK, TX and NM to get to Roswell; from there the route is pretty defined.

Does any one have suggestions on the best routing? Roads to avoid, things to see. I know there is not much across lower OK and much of the Panhandle.

Any comments appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. Texarkana seems to be quite a bit out of the way when leaving from FT. Smith.

Think we will just take two lanes across central OK towards Lubbock and then on towards Roswell.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
parkgt wrote:
Would like to travel the back roads south of I40 from western AR to Phoenix just before Thanksgiving. Traveling in a Sprinter RV going; to make it a three day journey.

Forts Smith towards Wichita Falls - Lubbock - Roswell - Socorro - Hwy 60 and down to Phoenix.

There are numerous was to get across OK, TX and NM to get to Roswell; from there the route is pretty defined.

Does any one have suggestions on the best routing? Roads to avoid, things to see. I know there is not much across lower OK and much of the Panhandle.

Any comments appreciated.

Put Texarkana and Paris into your waypoints to get across Texas - Good roads small towns less traffic.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:

I prefer driving highway 260 east at Showlow to 87 south rather than 60 south. Much easier drive and very scenic. If weather is clear this is the more enjoyable route for us.

Looking at Google Maps and I don't see Hwy 87 off of Hwy 260 west of Springerville.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Showlow area on 60 in AZ can get significant snow requiring chains. November doesn't get a lot of snow on average but could on any given day. That time of year the snow lasts only 1 day. Next day of sun and roads are clear.

I prefer driving highway 260 east at Showlow to 87 south rather than 60 south. Much easier drive and very scenic. If weather is clear this is the more enjoyable route for us.

260 from Springerville to Showlow is also much more scenic than staying on 60 although 60 is considerably faster, mostly due to some congestion in the Pinetop/Lakeside area on 260.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly don't need chains in November in mid-NM or AZ. ๐Ÿ™‚ There's very little precipitation, if any, where you are going that time of year.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
It was still hot in Phoenix area last year at Thanksgiving - 90 and hot sun, so pack accordingly for weather along your route and destination. At that time of year we used the southern route - very warm.

Interesting - the southern route could be hot and Pie Town could have snow requiring chains. Too bad there is not a middle route!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was still hot in Phoenix area last year at Thanksgiving - 90 and hot sun, so pack accordingly for weather along your route and destination. At that time of year we used the southern route - very warm.

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

If you'll be down south by Roswell, is there time in your schedule to visit Carlsbad Caverns? If you haven't been there before, you should try to fit this into your trip. I've never met anyone who was disappointed.

Yes, that is being considered for the return leg.
Thanks

dedmiston
parkgt wrote:
Thanks for the weather warning; may have to head the southern way around after Roswell? Any favorite path from Roswell to Las Cruces?

At 1250 miles total I think we are only looking at 400 - 450 or so a day if spaced well.

If you'll be down south by Roswell, is there time in your schedule to visit Carlsbad Caverns? If you haven't been there before, you should try to fit this into your trip. I've never met anyone who was disappointed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

parkgt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the weather warning; may have to head the southern way around after Roswell? Any favorite path from Roswell to Las Cruces?

At 1250 miles total I think we are only looking at 400 - 450 or so a day if spaced well.

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 60 can get interesting that time of year Pie Town is at 7700 ft. Weather in https://www.areavibes.com/pie+town-nm/weather/. You will want to carry chains and extra warm clothes. Three days travel you looking at 650 miles a day.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
On Hwy 60 west of Socorro, you can see the big radio telescope array along the way. In Roswell, gawk at all of the shops selling "alien" souvenirs.