cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freeways ethics and rules

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Seem I developed a knack for topics that put posters knocking each other out and have the moderator close the topic ASAP.

Here is another one controversy, freeways protocols.

And also because I'll be preparing for Canadians, Mid-west and East Coast trip next year.

My backdrop is of course the West where we are used to 6-lane freeways. On two-lane ones, we already know that the right side or slow lane is for us RVers, trailer pullers together with the big rigs.

In 3 lanes, we RVers can be in the middle as long as we are faster than the vehicles running on the right. And the left lane is reserved for overtaking. Although we sometimes get dagger looks and one-finger salute from the ignoramus on their rednecks trucks.

My question, and please don't change the statement parameters above, are the practices the same in Canada, Midwest and East Coast. I've driven in these areas but not with a travel trailer.

Thanks in advance.
46 REPLIES 46

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I do not care if someone gets in front of me. Traffic is not a line. That person moving in front of you doesn't stop you from getting to your destination. As long as do not have to stop, you will get there.

With that type of attitude, it's really easy. I make a three second space between me and the car in front of me. This allows another to easily move over when/if needed. At that time, I simply gradually slow down until that three second space is back. Often, I don't need to, because the vehicle that moved over in front of me just wanted the exit. By giving them the space to reach that exit, I prevented them from having to cut someone off and the resulting slam of brakes for 20+ cars back.

It's really easy once you remove the mindset that the road is a line and anyone in front of you will slow down your movement.

Your movement only stops when people have to cut into too small a gap between vehicles.

Nice attitude.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
The biggest issue I find is people do not allow adequate following distance, like being on the bumper of the car in front of you will get you there faster. Lack of following distance is the biggest cause of slow downs and accidents.

Me thinks this is the top biggest insurance claims.

Most people I think are ignorant of this physics or over-rate the capability of their brakes.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Although we sometimes get dagger looks and one-finger salute from the ignoramus on their rednecks trucks.

Be prepared for this sign of love from people in their BMWs and Audis up here, especially if you are driving during rush hour. Ignorance does not care what vehicle it is in.

Absolutely.

Our consolation is that they are paying for our road maintenance with their traffic violation citation penalties.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not care if someone gets in front of me. Traffic is not a line. That person moving in front of you doesn't stop you from getting to your destination. As long as do not have to stop, you will get there.

With that type of attitude, it's really easy. I make a three second space between me and the car in front of me. This allows another to easily move over when/if needed. At that time, I simply gradually slow down until that three second space is back. Often, I don't need to, because the vehicle that moved over in front of me just wanted the exit. By giving them the space to reach that exit, I prevented them from having to cut someone off and the resulting slam of brakes for 20+ cars back.

It's really easy once you remove the mindset that the road is a line and anyone in front of you will slow down your movement.

Your movement only stops when people have to cut into too small a gap between vehicles.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I try not to create what I call the MSG - Most Significant Gap. If the space between you and the vehicle in front of you is the biggest in the line of traffic, someone will see it as enough even if it's not.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œOnce people are inside their cars, they feel really empowered, just like a keyboard warrior behind a keyboard when theyโ€™re typing bad messages on social media โ€” when you contact them directly, they become a lot nicer."
--Ed Troyer, Pierce County sheriffโ€™s spokesman
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Although we sometimes get dagger looks and one-finger salute from the ignoramus on their rednecks trucks.

Be prepared for this sign of love from people in their BMWs and Audis up here, especially if you are driving during rush hour. Ignorance does not care what vehicle it is in.

The middle lane strategy is fine unless you are being constantly passed on the right. If that is the case, you need to move over. Traveling at the speed of the traffic is what you should be doing in congested situations.

Absolutely.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
ken56 wrote:
for the most part in all my towing time I have found people to be fairly courteous to me. There have been a few times when I have come across the aggressive idiot but that has been the exception rather than the rule.

When I tow I try to be courteous and signal my intentions well in advance and try to help time people merging onto the highway if I can't change lanes and I drive defensively. I tow at 65mph on the highway no matter what the flow of traffic is. The biggest issue I find is people do not allow adequate following distance, like being on the bumper of the car in front of you will get you there faster. Lack of following distance is the biggest cause of slow downs and accidents.

X2

Are you always on the happy highway or the road to Shanga-La LOL?
Following distance? I have never been able to maintain what I consider a good following distance while towing, where some moron did not squeeze into the hole I created for myself on a busy Interstate Highway. I find it hard to believe its much better in TN or CA, especially TN. I seem to remember going through Knoxville 40/75 at rush hour to be a little brutal.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
for the most part in all my towing time I have found people to be fairly courteous to me. There have been a few times when I have come across the aggressive idiot but that has been the exception rather than the rule.

When I tow I try to be courteous and signal my intentions well in advance and try to help time people merging onto the highway if I can't change lanes and I drive defensively. I tow at 65mph on the highway no matter what the flow of traffic is. The biggest issue I find is people do not allow adequate following distance, like being on the bumper of the car in front of you will get you there faster. Lack of following distance is the biggest cause of slow downs and accidents.

X2
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Emotional tantrum - how very immature, droll and common.
Safe driving is an art. Cooperation trumps competitiveness.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in Massachusetts and Rhode Island there are no driving ethics at all. The drivers are talking on their phones, texting, or even watching phone video while driving well over the speed limit cutting and weaving through traffic. For me staying in the second lane, supposed travel lane, and keeping up with the majority of traffic is my best defense. The toughest thing is trying to keep a little braking space in front of me. If I open it up a little some jerk jumps in front of me and hits the brakes. Very frustrating. So whenever I can I take secondary roads around what I know to be the busiest areas, even though it and miles and time to my run.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
You can usually see when they gun it, and at that point if I've properly signaled and know I have the room I'm coming over. They were paying enough attention to see your signal and mash the gas so they're also paying enough attention to jump on the binders.

My feelings exactly. My turn signal is a warning, not a request.

Common driving courtesy is very much non existent in 2018, and if you do extend some most likely you're going to get a good screwing. The best is when you're towing a trailer and coming up on an intersection where a moron is waiting to turn right, and they pull out in front of you because they do not want to be behind you on the highway.

That's when I usually downshift and punch it while laying on the horn and hitting the high beams. Usually gets me the bird and a good laugh.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here in Wisconsin people have forgotten that the left lane is for passing. When I am not towing, I frequently am in the passing lane and come up behind some fool tooling along 5 mph UNDER the speed limit and they will not pull over.
When towing on the Interstate, I am frequently doing 55 to 60 mph. If I am in the right lane and a truck pulls up behind me and tries to push me down the road, I turn on my 4 way flashers. If he continues riding my donkey, I slow down. they eventually will pass. If I am in an urban area with many exit/entrance ramps, I try to stay as far right as I can but sometimes have to move to the center lane.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired