Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fundy Trail Parkway

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning,
Has anyone driven the Fundy Trail Parkway in their Class C. I know there are a couple of steep grades. We have a Forester 3011Ds and tow a Chevy Spark on a tow dolly with surge brakes. I also tow in tow mode for the engine brake.

Thanks
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut
5 REPLIES 5

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My goal is 2025 to visit Newfoundland with my RV.

Make sure you have a Plan B. The ferry from NS to NFL does shut down from time to time for bad weather. We got stuck in NS the last time we tried to go there and had to revert to Plan B.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. We will be visiting Halifax staying at Shubie Campground, PEI staying at Cavendish National Park and then heady to ST Martins and seeing the Fundy Trail Parkway.

My goal is 2025 to visit Newfoundland with my RV. My father was born on the rock and still have many relatives up there.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
The Cabot Trail is worth the drive to Cape Breton. There are many outstanding viewpoints along the way, but there are also some steep grades and tight turns, that a larger motorhome would find "challenging". I saw a few larger motorhomes trying it, and recall wishing them "good luck" as we passed them in our Roadtrek.
Baddeck is a good base location to explore the rest of Cape Breton. There are some smallish cafes and fooderies along the various routes. Fuel is generally available along the trail, but will be pricey, and some stations will have shorter hours of operation, so best to run on the top half of the tank where possible.
When you cross out of the lower half of the province across the swing bridge and the Canso Causeway into Port Hawkesbury, keep a lookout for bald eagles. They sometimes nest on tall trees, and power and communications towers along the canal. You may see osprey nests as well. They've built special platforms for nesting for them along the highways.
If you like big boats, check out the ferry docks in North Sydney.
Take your time, and enjoy the views, it will be memorable.

If you do decide to visit the southern end of Nova Scotia, there's Peggy's Cove, and right near it, the roadside memorial for the passengers and crew on Swissair Flight 111 that crashed there in 1998.
Lots of other less infamous historical sites throughout the province.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your information. Staying in Baddeck at the Cabot Trail and will travel in our toad on the trail.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I did Hopewell Cape (Rocks) in a Sunstar 26HE 6 years ago, and don't recall any problems. Not exactly the Fundy Trail Parkway, but best I can do for anecdotal experience.
I would probably not do the Cabot Trail in anything bigger than a Class B van, which I've done 3 or 4 times in a Class B van.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)