cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grade on US 89

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
What is the steepest grade and for how long on US 89 from Gardiner,MT to Mammoth Hot Springs.
8 REPLIES 8

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks paulj,Believe me I won't worry about going slow.This TV and TT combo is new to me,I really need more truck or less trailer,but I am within all specs but at the limit so just want to take advantage of any and all info I can get.I have been towing trailers of some type for most of my life,farm or otherwise.Being 78 years young This will most likely be my last trip that way,and being a flat lander and the amount we tow just dosen'warrant(sic) the expense of an over the road TV.Was trapped in Yellow Stone in the fires in 1988.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Google maps I estimated that US89 at I90 is about 4600 ft, at Gardiner 5600ft, 6000 at the campground, and 7200 on the main park plateau.

No one is going to pushing you to make the climb past the Hot Springs in record time. They will all be in RVs like yours.

West Yellowstone and the Lake area also about 7200.

The road to the south climbs a bit before dropping some to Grand Tetons. There is also a modest pass on the east side of the park before dropping a long ways to Cody.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks cloud driver.That 7 percent for two miles may be a game changer for me,may just go on to Bozeman and take 191 thru West Yellow stone.I will have my first test at Mounte Eagle,Tn with 6 percent for 4.5 miles.Thanks to all who posted,it's a real help.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, you can go to Google Street View and do a virtual drive all the way down the grade from Mammoth Hot Springs to Gardiner. Shortly after passing the campground entrance, there is a grade sign that says "7% grade - 2 miles".
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
My memory is that the most noticeable grade is within the park, where it loops around the Hot Springs terraces.

Yes, you are correct. Picture of road that loops around CG and into the park.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My memory is that the most noticeable grade is within the park, where it loops around the Hot Springs terraces.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!Have driven it a few times in years gone by(2006 last time) but never loaded.This trip I will be near max.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's very minimal, I would say maybe 4% for a couple of miles, maybe 5%.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton