cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Canyon to Zion

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has probably been asked a lot. However if you are not experienced with mountain driving, what is best route from Grand Canyon to Zion with the least big curves and steep grades? I am not that experienced on steep grades up or down and my wife actually has a nervous disorder and I try to make it easy on her. Don't mind going a few miles out of the way. Zion hwy9 looks a little rough. Any help appreciated!!!
19 REPLIES 19

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is link to tunnel.
Tunnel Info
The climb out or drop into canyon is fairly steep but can be handled by most drivers as the speed is very low.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
You don't have to miss the drive through the park on Hwy 9. Park the RV and drive it with your truck. I also agree that since you said you have a 29' trailer you could even drive it with your RV.

Get into low gear before you even begin a downhill; don't try to do it midway. Everyone will be driving slow in the tunnel section. You'll fit right in!

If you're 62+ make sure you have the Senior Pass for all these parks. It will get in in free and 1/2 off camping.

Here's some information on the tunnel area:

https://www.nps.gov/zion/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-zion-mt-carmel-highway-and-tunnel.htm

I also suggest you look at the wonderful 'nps' web sites for all the national parks. They give lots of good information including things to do, special park alerts, road construction, camping, etc.

There are also many YouTube.com videos of special roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmoVAfKaMg
Actually the OP stated that he had a 29' class C, if he isn't towing, he should have no problem, but it depends on the Winnie height, my Forester is right at the 11' 4" restriction, plus with mirrors I'm just over the width restriction , we could have done it, paying the traffic control fee.
We did the drive in the toad.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to miss the drive through the park on Hwy 9. Park the RV and drive it with your truck. I also agree that since you said you have a 29' trailer you could even drive it with your RV.

Get into low gear before you even begin a downhill; don't try to do it midway. Everyone will be driving slow in the tunnel section. You'll fit right in!

If you're 62+ make sure you have the Senior Pass for all these parks. It will get in in free and 1/2 off camping.

Here's some information on the tunnel area:

https://www.nps.gov/zion/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-zion-mt-carmel-highway-and-tunnel.htm

I also suggest you look at the wonderful 'nps' web sites for all the national parks. They give lots of good information including things to do, special park alerts, road construction, camping, etc.

There are also many YouTube.com videos of special roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmoVAfKaMg
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your rig is not that big! I sure would not want to miss the drive to the east entrance through the park. The speed is slow, the down grade into or out of the canyon just takes some thought. Low gear coming down, drive in center of tunnel

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have been great on advice. I hate to miss the drive through the park. It looks wonderful. I think I can do 89 to 389 and on will be just fine. I am doing grand canyon, zion to Bryce to moab for arches and Canyonlands. Anything else I should see pass along. Thank all of you again.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grangrey4 wrote:
I am driving a 29 foot Winnebago class c. I am thinking 89 to 389 to 59 may be doable if steep grades are not too long. Does anyone recall if there are any long steep grades down on this route?
That's the way we went with our 29' with toad on a dolly, don't remember any major problems with steep grades or switchbacks.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
And stop at the Cameron Trading Post and have a Navajo Taco while you're there!
🙂
Lynn

Yes!!! Plus, it's a high class gift shop - beautiful things, not the typical trinkets you'll see in the area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
And stop at the Cameron Trading Post and have a Navajo Taco while you're there!
🙂
Lynn

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
There's a simple way and very scenic. If you're staying in Grand Canyon South Rim then exit via Hwy 64 east to Hwy 89 at Cameron. Take Hwy 89 north to Page, AZ and continue on 89 West to Kanab, Utah. This would be a good stop to tour Best Friends Animal Sanctuary if you're an animal lover. It's a no kill facility in awesome surroundings and you won't find anything similar.

From Kanab, Ut. take 89 south a little way into Arizona at Fredonia, AZ. Then take 389 west which becomes 59 in Utah to Hwy 9 in Utah at Hurricane. (This part of Hwy 9 is just about flat.) Then either find a park on east Hwy 9 all the way to Springdale or stay in the park at Watchman campground. If staying in Springdale the park's free shuttle stops at various places in this small town.

You didn't say where you're heading after Zion but I'd recommend Bryce Nat'l Park. To get there backtrack on Hwy 9 west to I-15 and head north to Hwy 20. Take that east to Hwy 89 and go a little south to Hwy 12 taking you to Bryce. Stay in the park or just outside the park entrance at Ruby's RV. Hwy 12 from 89 to Bryce is again, just about flat. Hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey? You probably won't like it although many, including us, do. 🙂 However, if you want to get to Torrey to tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park there's an easy way - from 12 take 22 north to 62 to 24 east to Torrey. Lovely drive.

When leaving Zion you don't want to take Hwy 9 east to 89. That's a big climb with switchback leading you through the tunnels. You won't like it!

All of the above are very doable with an RV with no major climbs or switchbacks. It's the easiest route. Have a great trip! By the time you do these parks you'll be a pro.

^^^^^^^^^^^ IAGREE ^^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Overthinking” hill climb/descent concerns causes missed vistas, extra miles, wasted time. If the state highway department doesn’t say “no” or “strongly not advised,” I go.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
'Steep' downhill grade into Hurricane. 55 to 45 to 35mph. The highway drops you right into a residential zone. It isn't a big deal though, plenty of loaded semis doing the same thing.

Climbs? North toward Page you have 'The Big Cut' just north of Bitter Springs. There is a passing lane the whole way up so take your time if needed. Then as you get closer to Page you have '12 Mile Hill' which is a short downhill with some curves; not even sure if it is worth mentioning, other than just watch the caution signs for speed.

I cannot think of anything else for that particular route for going to the West Entrance of Zion's.

If you were to choose the East Entrance however, a few miles north out of Kanab has a not steep but few mile long climb. It is quickly followed by a long sweeping curve downgrade into Mt Carmel Junction.

For any of the above, your Winne is plenty capable. Every grade I've mentioned is considered a normal route for over the road trucks. You are over thinking this.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
maybe I am over thinking my 29 foot Winnebago MH.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Switch backs coming from US-89 into Zion is one of the reasons certain sized rigs are not allowed. Dropping into the canyon has several switchbacks where many rigs drag.
Steep grade for some is northbound south of Page.
Fredonia to Hurricane on AZ 389/UT 59 has some advantage. I haven't been that way in many years.
OP does not indicate what kind of rig and how long. This could help

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
I am driving a 29 foot Winnebago class c. I am thinking 89 to 389 to 59 may be doable if steep grades are not too long. Does anyone recall if there are any long steep grades down on this route?