cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hauling trailer to Alaska

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
This group was very helpful to me when I was planning a road trip to Oaxaca (which we have done the last two years with great success).

This time we are thinking of buying an 18ft travel trailer for a trip to Alaska in 2021. I have signed up for the beginner travel trailer forum. Just not sure if this is the right decision...curious as to others experiences. Trying to work out a budget so my main question is, how often do you have to stay at campgrounds or can you boondock much of the time. I'm sure there are a lot of variables but if could point some out to me I would really appreciate it.
36 REPLIES 36

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
So much too learn!

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice, just beginning planning hopefully for May-June 2021. Just reading your post is getting me excited. We are looking at a used 18 footer, unfortunately it is a single axle, but the price is right and the layout is good for us. My husband drives and I do all the planning so I really appreciate the advice. If you think of anything else let me know. Would you mind sharing your itinerary from Illinois to B.C. And where did you cross? Thanks again

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
sdickbos wrote:
Thank you, lots of good info. Do most people who boondock run a generator?

I saw a lot with generators. Ran them to keep the camper battery charged so had water pump and lights. I never saw anyone boondocking who ran it all the time when we were around. When boondocking people want to hear the sounds of nature.
Camped in every state

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, lots of good info. Do most people who boondock run a generator?

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone asked me off list what tools they should take, other items, and the roads. Might be useful to others.
Basic tool kit of the usual wrenches, pliers, adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers. Assorted lengths of rubber bunges. Several rachet straps. The most used things we packed were a piece of old carpeting about 6 ft by 3 ft to lay or kneel on, duct tape, and bailing wire.
I took 2 extra unmounted tires for the trailer and 1 unmounted tire for the truck. Also had 1 each mounted tire for the trailer and truck. We never had any tire trouble but I would take them again. I can change a tire on a rim, some people don't know how. You might have to drive a ways but you can find someone who knows how to put a tire on a rim but they may not have an extra tire. The people we ran into who live there outside the cities are a resourceful bunch. They know how to get things done. And friendly and willing to help.
I took an air compressor. Never needed it but if I had to change a tire out I would need the air compressor.
I took 2 hydraulic bottle jacks. I only needed the one when we lost the bearing/axle on the trailer but 2 bottle jacks can be handy.
In addition to the 5 gal of diesel fuel for the truck I also carried 5 gal of gas for the generator.
I also carried 10 gal of potable water. I kept the trailer fresh water tank full whenever possible but there were times it was nice to have the extra 10 gal when dry camping. In addition to keeping your fuel tank full, keep your fresh water full and your waste water tanks empty whenever possible.
Take an outdoor gas grill. The area is beautiful. You don't want to cook inside. You can't always depend on having a wood fire. 2019 was very dry and there were fire bans in effect. No campfires in a lot of places.
I was surprised by the road conditions. All I've ever heard was how bad the roads are. The main roads are either blacktopped or hard pack gravel. We found the hard pack gravel to be smoother. Downside to the gravel is it's either dusty or it's sort of a mud.
You will hit road construction/repair. No big deal. You're in Alaska. You're not in a hurry. Enjoy the scenery while waiting.
Watch for frost heaves. Canada and Alaska does a pretty good job of marking them with a flag or an orange cone but they miss a few. As long as you're not going too fast the frost heaves are not a problem. They'll just give you a roller coaster ride or pitch you a bit. We did see an empty flatbed semi with all his wheels go off the ground when he hit a frost heave at probably more than the speed limit.
The worst road we encountered was the Tok Cutoff between Glennallen and Tok. The surface condition was OK but it pitched, rolled and gave you a real ride. Nothing terrible or impassable. Been on worse in the lower 48.
Camped in every state

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
I forgot to mention one thing. The only regret we had visiting AK was that we had not done it years before. We're already planning when we'll make our next trip. I have already started my list of places we're going.
1-McKenzie Highway in NWT.
2-Denali Highway.
3-Spend time in the Brooks Range.
4-Still considering to Inuvik and on into Tuk just to say we did it and saw it.

Your information is right on and very well written. We did the Denali Highway and it was well worth the trip. We did two overnights and took our time. So beautiful and so many moose to be see. Be sure to eat breakfast at the Alpine Creek lodge on the Paxon end of the highway. You won't be sorry.

We spent the summer of 2017 on our Alaska trip from Maine. 13,000 miles and just over $13,000 spent which included three fishing charters and the shipment of 146 pounds of halibut and salmon filets home. We also took over 4000 pictures. Extra camera batteries are a must.

This is an amazing trip. A very different and much slower way of life and a pleasure to be away from social media and the news broadcasts.

Lakeside

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We drove to Alaska last year from the midwest and after crossing into Canada, we dry camped the majority of the time-the longest stretch was 19 straight nights-until we returned to the lower 48. Plenty of pull offs to stop overnight. As long as it is not marked, find one that suits your needs and spend the night. Get a Milepost because it lists all the pull off along the way. There are lots of free dump/fill stations along the way..
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
awesome advice wadcutter

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
SideHillSoup wrote:

Tuk is our next summers trip.
Soup

COOL!!! Not for us. 2022 would be the earliest.
Camped in every state

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
I forgot to mention one thing. The only regret we had visiting AK was that we had not done it years before. We're already planning when we'll make our next trip. I have already started my list of places we're going.
2-Denali Highway.

Tuk is our next summers trip.
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
2-Denali Highway.
Camped in every state

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
All good advice Wadcutter!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We spent the summer of 2019 in AK. It was not long enough. We drove 12,103 miles from central IL.
We bought a used 26 ft trailer specifically to pull to AK. The shortest you can live in the better. We looked for a twin axle trailer and are glad that's what we got. We lost a bearing and damaged the axle north of Wasilla. Having 2 axles we were able to limp to a repair shop. A single axle we would have been sitting. The nearest tow service that could have towed us was in Anchorage about 75 miles away.
We didn't find the prices to be all that much higher than in the lower 48, maybe a bit higher as around large cities in the lower. Our total cost came to about $1/mile.
There are plenty of places to dry camp. And you'll want to do that just to experience it.
Here are some suggestions for traveling:
1) Take your time. There's a lot to see.
2) Watch your speed. Disregard the speed limits. Keep it slow so you can watch for wildlife. You definitely don't want to see a moose up close. On our way back from the Arctic Circle a moose ran out of the brush and stopped close enough to the side of my truck I could have touched her. Surprised both of us. We saw several vehicles on the road that had hit moose and bear.
3) Take a generator. It will make dry camping a lot more enjoyable.
4) Carry an extra 5 gal of fuel. As another said, never miss a chance to fill up even if you just filled up a few miles ago. There are places it's a long ways between stations. Even if the map says there's a town ahead don't expect to find services there, or in some cases even find the town.
5) Visit Anchorage and Fairbanks but don't spend a lot of time in them. They're cities. Cities are not Alaska. Go to the U of AK Museum in Fairbanks and the museum in Anchorage. Good exhibits and well done.
6) Leave early, avoid the crowds. We left IL May 16. I wish we would have left 2 weeks earlier. We had some cool nights in Alberta and some places the lakes were still frozen over. But we avoided the crowds. The later in the summer you leave the more crowds you'll run in to.
7) When at Denali, if you take a tour bus to see The Mountain, get the earliest bus in the day you can. It's a long trip from where you catch the bus to the visitor's center for viewing. The later in the day you get to the visitor's center the less chance you have of being able to see Denali. Clouds roll in during the day. Only about 30% of the visitors get to see Denali due to cloud cover. You do not want to go all that way and not see Denali.
๐Ÿ˜Ž Keep a daily diary of everything you did each day. What you saw, what you spent, things that happened. You will see so much that by the time you get home you'll be on information overload. You won't remember some of the things that you thought you'd remember.
9) Take a camera for each person. Old school, but get pocket cameras. Something you'll always have with you. Then make sure no one goes anywhere without their camera, even if it is stepping out of the camper for a few minutes. And get an extra battery for every camera. Phone cameras are OK but you'll find a separate camera more useful in the end. And take pictures of everything and pictures everyday. We took over 4000 pictures and each one is a memory.
10) Spend the time and money on day tours/cruises/ferries out of Homer, Seward, Valdez, Skagway, Haines, etc. Particularly Haines to Juneau. The captain does more than just take you from Haines to Juneau. When whales and other wildlife are spotted he stops and gets closer for pictures.
11) Stop in visitor centers in each town. Each has an interesting story to tell no matter how small the town.
12) You'll no doubt go thru Watson Lake Yukon. Do a websearch on Sign Post Forest if you have not heard of it. Make your sign before leaving home.
13) Avoid Seward, AK over July 4. That's the Mt Marathon race. Town will be packed and there's not a lot of room there to begin with.
14) Most important - Get the latest edition of Milepost. It will be your Bible. Read it before you leave and then follow it mile for mile as you travel.
15) If you see a road - take it. There aren't a lot of roads in AK and everyone we took had a great view or story.
Camped in every state