cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

headed to Kernville

davidsiv
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I with 8 other rigs are headed to kernville this weekend. I was looking at taking the 178 from the 14 over into kernville. Has anyone towed that route before? How are the grades? I have been over the grapevine numerous times and just looking for a change of scenery.
3 REPLIES 3

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
The road you want to take off the 178 to get to Kernville is Sierra Way. There is one short steep grade on it also to watch your downhill speed.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
From Upland, take the 15/395 to 14, rather than thru Antelope Valley. LOTS less traffic.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in Ridgecrest and make that trip often....tomorrow in fact. From the turn off of 14 onto 178 the grade is gradual with most of it about 4% to 5% with a short stretch just as you reach the top of 6%. However, just over the crest, there is a 7% downgrade with a sharp horseshoe curve that you should slow to about 15mph. After that, there is again a gradual downgrade for about 10 miles until you get down in the valley.

If you are indeed going to the town of Kernville, the turn off of 178 is a couple of miles before you get to South Lake. This road is just fine for you but does have a couple of 35mph curves.

If you are going to Isabella, just stay on 178.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....