Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading to outer banks

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Have not been to the outer banks for 20+ years. Going to take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel. How hard is it to get to route 168 after crossing the bay bridge tunnel. I am pulling a 33 foot travel trailer.
Thanks for any info.
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT
8 REPLIES 8

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
justaboutretired wrote:
Is there a spot/place heading south to pull into to turn off the propane?

There's a "bridge tunnel observation area" just before the first bridge southbound.

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
There is a rest stop on the North bound side of 13 just before the toll with access from the southbound lanes. Easy in and out, this is where we shut off our propane before entering the CBBT. After we get on 168 we stop at a farm market in Barco NC to pick up fresh produce and such. We start our propane back up here, its about an hour depending on traffic and fridge and freezer are still OK. The place is called Morris Farm Market and they have a huge parking lot with easy in/out access. Have fun in OBX and safe travels.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your time frame and I imagine your headed to Rodanthe or Hatteras, but do plan for late afternoon travel down the banks. Traffic is a bit rough from 8am to 4pm.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
justaboutretired wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies. Is there a spot/place heading south to pull into to turn off the propane?

After bridge set your destination for Walmart in Edinburg, Chesapeake to turn your gas on. Also do your shopping there to avoid OBX traffic. Only about 20 min after bridge, on 168 S

Also when you get off bridge stay in center lane of travel. The I64 E and W are the same ramp. The East...that you want will be the left lane of the exit ramp, West will be the right lane. Make sure your in the left lane of that exit ramp.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks for the replies. Is there a spot/place heading south to pull into to turn off the propane?
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to turn off your propane in the CBBT.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just check winds before driving the bridge. If any problems, check at toll booth.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Not hard at all 13 south to I-64 east to 168 south
map of area

Edit add, forgot to mention, turn off your propane before entering the CBBT,