cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Health Insurance & Cellphone coverage for trip to Canada

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I need to get health insurance and a cellphone plan for an upcoming trip to Canada. Specifically we will be in NB, NS and PEI. My current cell plan does not have any accommodations for outside the US. The trip will be about three weeks. Anybody have an idea where these can be purchased before the trip?
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!
22 REPLIES 22

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the members for useful info when taking trips! Medigap insurance has a lifetime cap of $50000. Good to know if you have ever used it previously. A hospital stay could use that up in a hurry.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
Check this link on Medicare supplement coverage.Clicky

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone mentioned this, but it's my understanding that Medicare will pay any medical expenses as long as you're traveling through Canada on your way to AK. If you're just touring Canada, they won't pay, have to be going to AK.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
First Rogers store for me will be about 15 minutes into Canada from the Calaise crossing.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Again, I am the OP. Thanks for all the great responses. I have checked my secondary health insurance and they will cover me when I'm outside the U.S. Also I checked that my iPhone is unlocked. I need to wait until I'm actually in Canada to buy a SIM card. Apparently many places sell them with inexpensive plans. Without a cell phone, the emergency road service plan I have would not be very useful. By looking at cell phone coverage maps, I can see that Rogers and Bell providers have good coverage in NB,NS and PEI.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a sim card from Petro Canada for their phone plan. However, I have no experience with their service. I am also not sure how many Petro Can's you'll see out East. From what I've seen, the maritimes are predominately Irving gas stations.

PC mobile from President's Choice (I believe that would be Atlantic Superstore out east) have relatively cheap phones and plans, just don't know how cost effective they are considering that you only need it for 3 weeks. It uses the Bell network so you'll have more than just a local coverage area.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check area coverage for the phone first. Looks like many areas are marginal at best.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my records, Plans C,D,F,G,M all have foreign coverage. $250. deductible. These Medigap (supplements) are all the same regardless of the company offering them.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on Medicare do you have a supplement plan also. Most of the plans will cover you in Canada. Only the 2 cheapest plans do not have foreign coverage. If you have an Advantage Plan you may be out of luck. Each Advantage plan has their own limits.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know if I can get a SIM card

If your phone is unlocked you could find a sim card that will work at Walmart or Best Buy or Staples here in Canada but I would check with your current carrier to see if they have a plan.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
LI-camper - regarding out-of-country insurance - we use Seven Corners (DW on medicare) when we go north - look on line. You pay based on length of stay, you can choose level of coverage. Always get it, never needed it so far! If you just want a sim card, check out a chain electronics store called The Source www.thesource.ca - they were recommended to us, but I just went with a temporary global plan from Verizon. Pay-as-you go from Walmart would also work - either way you need to distribute your new phone number to anyone who may need to reach you, too... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headed to NB, NS & NL as well. Total time will be about 2 months.

Current phone plan is to get a Rogers prepaid simcard & put it in an unlocked phone.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the OP. I am on Medicare. My cellphone plan, Consumer Cellular, does not have a provision for out of US use. I thank all of the forum members for their input. Does anybody know if I can get a SIM card to use while in Canada? I am exploring the health insurance plans available for travelers.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on Medicare, you are not covered outside the USA or its territories.

Thanks-I'm not there yet so I wasn't thinking along those lines. We are still lucky enough to have a high-end plan.

Please please don't tell me you are suggesting to not get health insurance. That would border on being incredibly bad advice.

X2, as does being unreachable while on the road. I speak from experience on this.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]