cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help..In Need of a OPD reader for Cummings Diesel

dkilley
Explorer
Explorer
Friend here in Rincon De Guayabitos near La Penita has a check engine light on which has forced him to safe mode in the engine. Frieghtliner says he must get a reader to see what the code is before action can be taken to fix the problem. I think it was called an OPD reader. He has a 2004 Allegro Bus with ISL cummings engine. Was sitting here in RV park for 40 days and now wants to head North. Anyoe have any suggestion. My cell number is 302-157-4745
24 REPLIES 24

dkilley
Explorer
Explorer
Was able to get the Cummings dealer from Guadalajara to drive down and bring the proper scan tool. They found some type of sensor that sends signal from gas pedal to engine was defective but was able to reprogram it to get him back to a dealer that would have a replacement part. Thanks to all those who sent in suggestions, it is appreciated.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Grant at La Penita RV Park!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I think that I know who is selling the linked OBD readers. They emailed me from Nigeria last week with an offer to split 3 million dollars if they could access my bank account.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of shops in your area that can read the codes. Any FL shop or any large bus repair shop. You need to get in a car and drive around. Ask a truck driver at a large Pemex with lots of trucks on the lot. Forget any OBD 2 readers and no auto parts store has the correct reader. As for that link to obd2 readers. That is a load of you know what!!!

Moisheh

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
The reader that works for the Ram pickup, will not work on his MH chassis. The newer chassis have a round 9 pin port. I believe that his will be the same.

All FL chassis have a port above the radiator in the back and most have one under the dash as well. Either way it will be a round port.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Phone for Cummins in U.S.A.

1-800-343-7357

Cummins in Mexico is affiliated with DINA, they build the big passenger buses, the only place that I find in the Cummins web site is not very helpfull, since you need to be registered.

If all else fails go to the central camionera (passenger bus terminal) and ask the persons there where do they repair the units, they might know the authorized mechanic in town.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Necesitó un taller mecánico que pueda reparar mi casa rodante.

Tiene un motor Cummins, y tiene una luz en el tablero prendida, necesitamos leer el código para repararlo.

Tienen un lector de códigos?

First sentence is:

I need a mechanical repair shop that can repair my motor home.

It has a Cummins engine and has a light turned on the dash, we need to read the code to repair it.

Do you have a code reader?

Even if your is Spanish is rusty, write this down it is correct.

I looked on the internet for a Cummins rep in Mazatlan and in Guadalajara, no luck the only one that shows up is in Tijuana.

Sometimes the reps are Mexican companies that have a different name and represent other makes.

Look in your engine papers, there might be a phone for the U.S. and give them a call.

navegator

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
My check engine light came on so I turn the power off for a couple of minutes coming from the engine batteries to reset.
If there is something wrong the check engine light will come back on. Even computers mess up from time to time. It's worth a try, work for me.
Good Luck

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
In Mexico I searched for Cummins as well as truck mechanics around Puerto Vallarta. Not much listed. Calling shops and asking questions could help. Truck drivers and bus drivers might have ideas. There are lots of excellent mechanics with proper tools all over Mexico - finding them can be more difficult than in the states. Here are some places I found listings online . . .

Truck = camiones , camione , camion

Repair shop = taller

Mechanic = mecanico

Parts = refacciones

Cummins Alesso Occidente
Periferico Nte 10176 Y 10240, Colonia Residencial Plaza Guadalupe
Zapopan, Jalisco 45047
Mexico
Phone: 52 33 31256051

Taller mecanico de camiones Puerto Vallarta Jalisco

http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/resultados/refacciones-y-accesorios-para-automoviles-y-camiones/jalisco/puerto-vallarta/1

https://plus.google.com/+FrenosYClutchMedinaPuertoVallarta/about?gl=us&hl=en

http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/informacion/taller-mecanico-el-tapo/refaccion-camion/jalisco/puerto-vallarta/3595132#

ALSO TRY calling Green Angels hotline at 078.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion is find one the bus companies and ask where they get their service. There are LOT of Cummins ISB engines in Mexico. Someone should be able to take care of that. It may take a service call from PV or Guadalaraja. Which will probably have to be prepaid through a bank. Don't ask how we know that. Unless you must. (Scroll down to "The Blog Fodder Run)

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a Freightliner or Mercedes Truck dealer if you can't find a Cummins shop. Or at least a heavy truck shop. Freightliner is now owned by Daimler who also own Mercedes Benz, common in Mexico. Unfortunately, I did a Google search and came up empty.We use the Silverleaf interface that someone mentioned above but unfortunately you need to buy the interface hardware from them. The software is free.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Just asked my buddy, he is a mechanic and his Kenworth T300 does indeed use a common OBDII reader to retrieve codes.

Here's a selection of generic OBDII and CAN readers for Kenworths.
Kenworth OBDII readers

That link cracks me up. It's for a Chinese OBD product branded Kenworth that is for gas vehicles. Show me a picture of your OBD connector on your diesel vehicle.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just asked my buddy, he is a mechanic and his Kenworth T300 does indeed use a common OBDII reader to retrieve codes.

Here's a selection of generic OBDII and CAN readers for Kenworths.
Kenworth OBDII readers

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaxom wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Diesels dont have an OBD port.

My Ram with the Cummins 6.7 DIESEL has an OBD2 port.
My Ford doe's also.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds