Did you mean: 

Help with Glacier please

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/23 03:14pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
Would you help me get started on planning an anniversary trip next August please? I’d like to drive in from the east and camp then take our tow car and venture out every day for 3-4 days(?) We aren’t hikers. Then I’d like to break camp and head west, but since we have a 32 foot RV and tow a car I know we have to take a different road toward the west. I’d like to end up in the west part of the park for a few days also. We aren’t going to the Canadien park and don’t have a time schedule at all so what I need to know is where to make reservations for a full hook up (if possible) park in each of the areas. Could you give me the names of the parks that would make the most sense for our route please? I have until tomorrow, I believe, when some of the reservations open up. Thanks so much in advance.
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
15 REPLIES 15

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
If you are not hikers, why Glacier? It is one of the few NPs where it seems every visitor comes to hike. Even little kids are miles up on the trails.

St Mary's CG is not an especially scenic area. You might want to consider alternative areas outside of Glacier.
Glacier is beautiful , Everybody is different, we've been to glacier 3 times, and are not serious hikers, but there are some great easy to moderate hikes, we've enjoyed ourselves every time there. Even without a lot of hiking.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are not hikers, why Glacier? It is one of the few NPs where it seems every visitor comes to hike. Even little kids are miles up on the trails.

St Mary's CG is not an especially scenic area. You might want to consider alternative areas outside of Glacier.

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
How did I miss that important info? Thanks so much, it’s on my calendar to make my reservations 6 months in advance.

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
David and Deb wrote:
Thank you, I’ve chosen my campgrounds, but can’t get reservations until 4 days before. Yikes! Is that the only way to get reservations to the in-house campgrounds I listed? Do I need to choose backup campgrounds and get them reserved in case there are no openings in the in-house campgrounds? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. What am I missing?

From the national parks service web page:

"Reservations

Campsites become reservable on a rolling basis, 6 months in advance from the date you want to book your stay. New in 2023, a certain number of sites will be reservable up to 4 days before the desired date."

Most sites can be booked 6 months in advance, some sites can be booked 4 days in advance. Get on line in February at recreation.gov.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I’ve chosen my campgrounds, but can’t get reservations until 4 days before. Yikes! Is that the only way to get reservations to the in-house campgrounds I listed? Do I need to choose backup campgrounds and get them reserved in case there are no openings in the in-house campgrounds? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. What am I missing?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Glacier campgrounds

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much. Now I’m trying to figure out how to get reservations at the various campgrounds (St. Mary’s, Two Medicine, and Apgar) I’ve chosen. Ugh!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
David and Deb wrote:
I see that route goes outside the road we can’t drive on so that’s good, thanks. How long is the drive from Two Medicines to Apgar Campgrounds?
About 65 mi, 1 1/2 hours, depending on how you drive. Longer if you stop to see some sights.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
David and Deb wrote:
Oh shoot! I was looking forward to staying there at 2 Medicines and exploring a bit. Thanks for the warning.
What is the height on your Gulfstream , if your under 12ft 8, as the sign says, your all set, you will fit under the underpass, Our Forester is 11-4 , no problem. Two medicine is a great campground, beautiful scenery.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Oh shoot! I was looking forward to staying there at 2 Medicines and exploring a bit. Thanks for the warning.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
David and Deb wrote:
. How long is the drive from Two Medicines to Apgar Campgrounds?

If you are over 12' 6" (low underpass at highway 2 and 49 in East Glacier) or over 21' (?) long (length limit north on 49) You can NOT get to Two Medicines. Don't ask how I know. The Lost Week in Glacier!!!! There are a number of dry boondocking camp sites near the summit of Highway 2 also one commercial CG 4(?) miles west of the summit. We used it as a dump station. $5 -$10 to dump/fill.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, US 2 skirts the southern edge of Glacier.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I see that route goes outside the road we can’t drive on so that’s good, thanks. How long is the drive from Two Medicines to Apgar Campgrounds?

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Does that Route avoid the Sun Road? Our rig is too long.