JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
What Not to Miss -

ALBERTA

Icefield Parkway - Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Mile "0" Signpost - Dawson Creek, Alaska Highway
Liard Hot Springs - Alaska Highway (historic mile 497)
Dease Lake (Cassiar Hwy) drive Telegraph Creek (not suited for large RVs)
Atlin โ€“ south of Tagish/Whitehorse area
Salmon Glacier - end of the road past Stewart BC & Hyder AK

YUKON

Frantic Follies Show - Whitehorse
Klondike Rib & Salmon BBQ โ€“ Whitehorse
Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre โ€“ Whitehorse
Dawson City Museum โ€“ Dawson City
Top of the World Hwy - Dawson City
Keno City Mining Museum โ€“ Keno
Watson Lake Sign Post Forest
Wildlife Gallery โ€“ Yukon Motel, Teslin
Kluane Museum of Natural History โ€“ Burwash

ALASKA

Barrow โ€“ north Alaska, fly-in only
Chicken - Tisha's School House via Taylor Hwy or Top of the World Hwy

SOUTHEAST ALASKA
White Bus (Lunch) โ€“ Hyder via Cassiar Hwy B.C.
Skagway AK - drive south of Whitehorse YT
Haines AK - drive south of Haines Junction YT
Wrangell Jet Boat Tour - LeConte Glacier Ferry (ferry or fly-in)
Ketchikan - Deadliest catch Tour (ferry or fly-in)
Juneau - glacier helicopter & dogsled-on-glacier tour

FAIRBANKS & AREA
Santa Claus House - North Pole AK near Fairbanks
Knotty Shop โ€“ Mile 332 Richardson Hwy near Fairbanks
Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center

ANCHORAGE & AREA
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center - Downtown Anchorage
Alaska Native Medical Center - Anchorage
Crow's Nest (meal Captain Cook Hotel)
Simon & Seafort's Saloon - Anchorage
Charter Plane - Anchorage/Chugach Mountains
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Moose Tooth Pub -Anchorage

KENAI PENINSULA & AREA
Seward
Kenai Fjords Boat Tours โ€“ Seward
Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Aug 10-18 Kenai Peninsula
Alyeska Tram & Resort - Girdwood (dinner is great here-Seven Glaciers)
Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska, near Girdwood
Double Musky (Dinner) - Girdwood
Pratt Museum โ€“ Homer
Homer High Rd Drive
Halibut Cove in Homer - Dinner at Saltry
Community of Hope - Between Anchorage and Seward
White water Rafting - Hope
Williwaw Campground (Chugach National Forest) - Portage Glacier
Glacier Tours โ€“ Glaciers

DENALI & PARKS HWY AREA
Denali Park Bus Tour
Denali River Rafting - Rafting (mild to wild)
Mary's McKinley View Lodge (view and dinner) โ€“ Trapper Creek
Drive Denali Hwy between Cantwell & Paxson
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
Talkeetna Sightsee Flight- Mt Mckinley/Denali

EVENTS
Kluane Mountain Bluegrass Festival โ€“ June 7-9, Whitehorse YT
Chickenstock Music Festival โ€“ June 14-15, Chicken AK
Atlin Arts & Music Festival โ€“ July 12-14, Atlin BC
Dawson City Music Festival โ€“ July 19-21, Dawson City YT
Alaska State Fair โ€“ Aug 22 โ€“ Sept 2, Palmer AK
108th Annual Midnight Sun Baseball Game - June 21, Fairbanks

Packing Ideas:

Milepost
Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping - Church
Toursaver Coupon Book
Binoculars
Camera
Extra batteries
Kindle- Books-Audio Books
CD's and DVD's
Special Food Likes
"Roll Call Alaska 2013" signs
Walkie Talkie
Deet
Fishing Gear
Puppy Documents
Passports
Raingear
Mud Boots
Fishing Gear
Tarps
Window Bug Cleaner
Black-out Curtain or sleep masks- Window coverings
Prescriptions or special meds ie: Prilosec, Tylenol PM
Debit Card and Credit Cards
Canadian Coins
Sign for the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake - Nails and Hammer
Maps/ GPS
Books/ Magazines
Cell Phone/ Internet
Smart Phone/ Tablet apps for Camps/business and fuel
Spare Parts -Fuel Filters, Engine Belts, Extensions for E,W,S and Cable
Tools
Fuses
Gorilla Tape
Reflectors
Velcro
Evaporated Milk
Vehicle Insurance Documentation
Extra Air Filters
Cell phone amplifier / external antennas
Personal Locator Beacon
Bear Spray
Cash
Non-beef pet food in orginal containers

Things to do before leaving

Turn off water to house.

Set yard sprinklers (we have 2 meters, one for house and one for lawn, Iโ€™ll be shutting off the one for the house)

Turn off water heater

Put Saran wrap on toilets, on drains in sinks, bathtubs, showers, make sure to do kitchen sink (make sure to fill trap first)

Set AC in house for 85 to 90*

Stop newspaper

Stop mail (in our case we are forwarding it to UPS store and they well mail it to us where we ask them)

Set up auto billing for monthly ocurring costs and have electronic billing. (Utilities)

Get lawn care service if needed

Talk to lawn service to make sure they donโ€™t leave any receipts on the front door

Talk to the police to see if they have a vacation watch

Neighbor across the street is going to place their trash cans in our drive once in a while and make sure no fliers are left on our front entry.

Set timers to turn on and off lights and radio in room that has the blinds closed

Unplug all electrical appliances (TVs, coffee pot, toaster, clocks that are plugged in, chargers, cable boxes, DVD players, Surround sound amps, printers, shredder, electric blankets, mirror, plug in flashlights, night lights, table lamps unless used with timers, night time reading lights, sewing machines, refrigerator in garage)

Drain coffee pot

Shutoff ice maker and empty the ice

Turn the refrigerator in house up a couple degrees. (empty contents except condiments)

Turn off gas to fireplace

Suspend trash service.

******These lists were a great help to all of us that traveled this year. Hope it helps all future Alaska bound RV'ers. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to making these lists and our travels wonderful.*******
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
92 REPLIES 92

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
beeman1 wrote:
Will onstar work in Canada ?

Yes, it does - I have it in my car in the Yukon.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
Will onstar work in Canada ?

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
L8ERZZZ - just for reference if it helps............
Last October we drove from Chicago to Anchorage in 5 1/2 days, left Monday noon arrived Sat early evening. Pulling as I mentioned a 24ft empty enclosed trailer. That included one real long 12 hour day and mostly 6-8 hour days the rest of the time. Your 8 day plan should give you a day or two of wiggle room. Have fun.

mudrat
Explorer
Explorer
L8ERZZZ wrote:
mudrat wrote:
L8ERZZZ wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Pre planning is good. I wouldn't throw anything out, just answer their questions - hat and sunglasses off, direct answers, no questions.

Yes pre planning is a must! I want to have a smooth and adventurous trip in and out of Canada, want to make it to Anchorage in one piece. Oh and I just found some info on taking my dog with us to AK so many documents to travel through Canada.

Could you post the info or website on the dog info please?

Mudrat
The site I found it on is www.northtoalaska.com click on the "Tips" tab at the top of the site and it will be located under "1" tip bullet 4.

http://www.northtoalaska.com/Tips.aspx

Thanks for the Info.... nice tips

L8ERZZZ
Explorer
Explorer
mudrat wrote:
L8ERZZZ wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Pre planning is good. I wouldn't throw anything out, just answer their questions - hat and sunglasses off, direct answers, no questions.

Yes pre planning is a must! I want to have a smooth and adventurous trip in and out of Canada, want to make it to Anchorage in one piece. Oh and I just found some info on taking my dog with us to AK so many documents to travel through Canada.

Mudrat
The site I found it on is www.northtoalaska.com click on the "Tips" tab at the top of the site and it will be located under "1" tip bullet 4.

http://www.northtoalaska.com/Tips.aspx

L8ERZZZ
Explorer
Explorer
SkipStock wrote:
one more thing?

Cell phone service pretty much sucks at the EXACT moment you cross into Canada. How do they do that?

ok, may not QUITE that bad, but it does get bad.....don't depend on having anything but spotty service it all the way Anchorage.

AND? make darn sure you get your service provider to give you a plan that is free DATA roaming through Canada (even though you wont have access ๐Ÿ™‚ or you may have a surprisingly large bill at the end of the trip...........

SkipStock
Thanks for all the info. We will be taking it slow for sure. I planned for 8 days once we cross the boarder, take in the sites and take it slow. I know there will be some white knuckle moments but slow and steady will make the wife and kids happy! Tire chains will be added to our list. My tires are brand new but still a good idea to have chains. Not having cell service will be kind of scary but hope to not have to call anyone for emergency reasons. Wife and I are enjoying readying all this advise and recommendations! Thanks again!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Sometimes the questions don't seem to have a reason. But it's likely they already know the answers from their data base so if your answers don't match...

And as a heads up: If you have a criminal record including a DUI you won't be entering Canada.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We carried an International Health Certificated from the vet for the dog and cat. It indicated their good health and vaccinations. Rabies is the main concern. I don't recall ever being asked about the pets or showing the papers. Several times the agents checked the refer and hence were aware of the animals, even scratched the sleeping cat once.

Bob

mudrat
Explorer
Explorer
L8ERZZZ wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good point about cell phones. We use Verizon and for $15/month additional get access to Canadian Telus cell. Phone only and we turn off the data. It's available is the towns but not elsewhere. We used WiFi when available until we got to Alaska.

Another poster said Canada was adding more cell access along the Alaskan Highway but I don't know the status of that project.

Bob

flybob63
Explorer
Explorer
Research the website for Canadian Border crossing with firearms. There are specifics on there about pistols that do allow for crossing but, to me, it was more of a pain in the neck than it was worth. For me to carry a .45 auto I would have had to submit paperwork months in advance and arrange for the firearms officer of the province meet me at a prescribed date and time at the border, inspect my weapon and then give approval if he/she felt it appropriate. Smaller weapons that are more concealable like my 2 inch 38 are prohibited weapons and not permissible at all. I am a retired police officer and still qualified to carry in the USA but it made no difference to Canada. Maybe there is an exception with your military orders. The website might list that and they have numbers to call as well.

As I said before, long guns are no problem as long as they meet length, and I believe, capacity requirements. If you end up with any doubt I would ship to avoid losing your guns and having troubles.

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
one more thing?

Cell phone service pretty much sucks at the EXACT moment you cross into Canada. How do they do that?

ok, may not QUITE that bad, but it does get bad.....don't depend on having anything but spotty service it all the way Anchorage.

AND? make darn sure you get your service provider to give you a plan that is free DATA roaming through Canada (even though you wont have access ๐Ÿ™‚ or you may have a surprisingly large bill at the end of the trip...........

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
a couple more thoughts, more in the manner of suggestions

1. Tire chains for at least the truck rear tires. PROBABLY won't need them, but if you wan to be prepared.......Last time I found a set in Ft Nelson or Ft St John, so if you don't come across them before that just keep looking. Most Auto parts stores will have them as you get further north.
2. Those BF Goodrich you have are going to be fine if they are relatively new?

Been a long time since I drove it in March, but I did just made a quick trip last October. Some stretches to be mindful of:

Ft St John to Ft Nelson - the first 1/2 (?) the road winds a good bit and lots of elevation changes - try to do this early in the day.

Ft Nelson to Toad River to Stone Mountain to Summit Lake to Muncho Lake to Watson Lake is stunning if you have good weather. If you have bad weather it's a nail biter. Watch for Buffalo, Bear, Moose, Elk, Deer, Coyote and Fox - seen them all on this stretch depending on season. There are fewer establishments, and some of those won't be open yet, so mind the MP, - this will be one of the longer stretches to plan for fuel. I think I did it in 1 LONG day pulling an enclosed 24ft trailer lightly loaded. Break it into a couple days or 3 if you have the time and are self contained.

The next long run is Whitehorse to Haines Junction to Kluane Lake to Tok. If you have good weather camp along the way just above Kluane Lake before you drop down to Lake level. Bears probably not out yet, but they might be, so keep an eye out.

When you get to Alaska it really gets beautiful, but it sounds like you're PCS'g so you 'll have time to figure that all out when you get here.

take it easy, prepare, don't be in a hurry and you'll have a blast........

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
Having "Done the Highway" many times over many (too many) years with and without TT, here are some absolute musts:
1. Take your time
2. Absolutely NO pistols, NO "assault" type weapons (Canada resembles NYC that way)
3. Absolutely no magazines over 10 rounds, for anything
4. Absolutely a Passport for everyone
5. Take your time
6. Consider some type of rock deflector for the hood, OR just accept that you'll need a new wind shield when you get here
7. March is a cross over month re weather - prepare for everything from +75 deg days to minus 25 as you get up around Whitehorse to Glennallen.
8. FROST HEAVES - primarily from Tok to Glennallen - GO SLOW. Actually GO SLOWER!
9. I see you have a Milepost, extremely useful. you will come to rely on it. Some businesses not open (further north) until April 15 or later so plan accordingly for fuel stops.
10.Take your time.

A cursory review of these posts and your list seem to cover everything else, and maybe I repeated something someone else already mentioned - but these are the few items that bear repeating.
Have fun!

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
There are gun stores in Alaska that will accept and hold your pistol when shipped from the lower 48.