cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 50 closure by Gunnison

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Montrose & have reservations in Canon City. With the weekday road closure, we are considering eating our reservations. We didn’t know about Monarch Pass either… Towing 33’fiver. Your thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I was just into the office of the only KOA in Canon City and asked about what you were referring to. They do not charge extra for arriving late, in fact I was told they do not charge for arriving early either. There is no problem coming in after dark either. I nor the KOA folks have no idea where you got the info.

The folks at this KOA are the nicest folks you could find. I normally do not respond to these kind of post but seeing how I was at the KOA I thought I would find out.

I would look at the link for when you will be able to pass through on your way to Canon City and plan accordingly. Feel free to give the KOA a call to double check my info 719-275-6116
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I am at the KOA in canon city now and these folks are very nice. I am going to go to the office and find out why you are so upset. Have you called them?

I will post what I find out at the office
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, our reservations in Canon city are from Wednesday to Sunday, so we would need to deal with the traffic closures & do our best to get in the mid-day 1hour window. The RV park won’t allow arrivals after 6 without extra $ & NO arrivals after dark, so coming through in the late afternoon won’t work! I’ve never seen such restrictive RV policies for any KOA previously!!! Buyer beware…

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an adequate tow vehicle Monarch pass should not be a problem. It is certainly a long steep pull but it is a very good road with a restaurant at the summit. If you take your time should not be problem. You will be pulling up the steepest side.

There is also a gondla at the top of the pass that takes you to the peak of the mountain.

With the schedule given above you could make the trip on a weekend with no delays.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We are in Canon City now and monday are heading to Cortez via 50 to poncha springs taking 285 down to 160 to cortez. If you could take maybe you could drop down that way.

This link gives a schedule on how they are allowing travel might help

https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/april-2021/us50-little-blue-creek-detours

We found canon city to be agreat place. The Royal Bridge experience is, to me, a little over priced. But the train is will worth it.

Good Luck safe travels
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly