cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 17, Santa Cruz to Los Gatos

br549
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Moss Landing and headed to Bodega Bay. My mapping program wants to take us out to Hwy 101 and north. I was wondering about Hwy 17. Will be driving our Phaeton and towing the Edge. Would 17 be a wise choice?
Gerry & Louise
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH
2018 Ford Edge Titanium
10 REPLIES 10

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I do it every summer with the fiver no problem at all as others have said it is a hwy. Sure it is curvy but you are out at the coast!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is a multilane freeway now, no problems.

Back in the 80s, THEN it was a windy mountain road. It is completely different now. I couldn't believe it was the same road, when I took it last year.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is a multilane freeway now, no problems.

Back in the 80s, THEN it was a windy mountain road. It is completely different now. I couldn't believe it was the same road, when I took it last year.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion, but if you're not in a hurry you can always take Highway 1 North from Moss Landing too and pick up 101 just South of San Francisco. It's a very scenic drive and can be done in an RV.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
17 is a freeway, but yes it is windy and has narrow lanes in places. I've done it in my RV with no problem. It is a major commute route for people living in Santa Cruz County and going into Silicon Valley. So avoid commute hours.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel to and from New Brighton in Capitola, we use hwy 17 from 101 to 1 with no problems. This is with a 40' dp and Edge toad.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

JT
Explorer
Explorer
You have to get to 101 some way, but you don't need to do it via 17 (or 152!). You might want to consider taking 129 (north on 1 from Moss Landing) or 156 (south on 1 from Moss Landing); either road will take you to 101.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I hated even driving my car on Hwy 17 back in the 1980's!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 17 is famous and notorious. Locals who live, "over the hill", hate it.
There is more action on that stretch of road than there is in a Nascar race.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
br549 wrote:
We will be leaving Moss Landing and headed to Bodega Bay. My mapping program wants to take us out to Hwy 101 and north. I was wondering about Hwy 17. Will be driving our Phaeton and towing the Edge. Would 17 be a wise choice?

I would take 101 north. Hwy. 17 is a mountain road with twists and curves. Usually heavy traffic with many commuters who are in a hurry:( Would not want to have a break down or flat tire on Hwy. 17:(