cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hwy 199

rfcsb
Explorer
Explorer
anybody know if i can pull a 38' fw from grants pass oregon to crescent city ca. on hwy 199, what's the road like?
8 REPLIES 8

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
sbell2003 wrote:
Just traveled from Grants Pass to Crescent City pulling a 37 foot fifth wheel with a dually. The trip was fine and although the road is a little narrow in places there is room to stay in your lane. In the redwoods close to Crescent City there was one turn with a redwood on the inside of the curve that obviously had been hit many times. I did cross the yellow line a little on that turn. Definitely an okay route with an RV.

Just pulled my TT through there again last week.
I know the tree your talking about, most of the missing area in the trunk was done with a chain saw so the bigger rigs wouldn't be scuffing it on the way by.

Just my opinion but 101 south of Cresent City is far worse than any part of 199
Tinbender

sbell2003
Explorer
Explorer
Just traveled from Grants Pass to Crescent City pulling a 37 foot fifth wheel with a dually. The trip was fine and although the road is a little narrow in places there is room to stay in your lane. In the redwoods close to Crescent City there was one turn with a redwood on the inside of the curve that obviously had been hit many times. I did cross the yellow line a little on that turn. Definitely an okay route with an RV.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 356RLT
2018 RAM 3500 Dually

shadowpup
Explorer
Explorer
Big Rigs (18 wheelers) do it everyday. Go slow and enjoy it.
Me and my Siberian Huskie (cat in a dog suit)
30' Safari Ivory class C

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeze, it's just a country highway, if you want interstate conditions stay on the interstate highway system.

Don't mean to sound, well maybe I do. Born and raised in these mountains I would rather take roads like this any day compared to the dam interstates.
Tinbender

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great road if you like twisty with a steep drop off on one side! ๐Ÿ™‚ Go slow and ignore tailgaters. It does get a little steep in spots too. If you haven't inspected the brakes on your FW in a while, now would be the time to do so...

Just so you know, hwy 199 is on the list of the most dangerous highways in the US. Myself, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if down that way.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last few miles before Crescent City is curvy and has humongous Redwoods right at the edge of the asphalt. However, I've towed our 36-foot 5th wheel with no problems and no white knuckles.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Just go slow. It is tight in places and curvy, but it is done by many every day, and beautiful area. Go at the speed that you have control of your rig.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should have no issues. When you get to the CA end road gets narrow and curvy. Watch for trucks! Don't be in hurry!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker