cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 442 Gatlinburg

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hwy 441 -- is it a RV friendly highway for a travel trailer?
We're looking for a route from Ashville towards Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Hoping the weather calms down, my hair gets messed up in the wind!
Thanks...
11 REPLIES 11

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
ken56 wrote:
If you have never done mountain driving don't go through the park on 441. It is steep and very curvy. I see RV's with burned up brakes nearly every time I go through there. Stay on I-40 and save yourself the stress.

This is perfectly reasonable advice. However, the poster is from Northern Idaho, so I suspect they have a decent amount of mountain driving experience.

I've been to northern Idaho and didn't come close to anything like 441 through the GSMNP. Been on rt. 12 and Lolo pass and that doesn't even compare. Have you had the pleasure of the 441 experience through the park? I live in the area and have done so many times, I do not take my trailer through Newfound Gap. I have seen some people do it. I've seen many on the side of the road with smoking brakes too. The smell of brake dust hangs in the air but yes, it can be done. It's a workout to say the least in an RV.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You think?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
If you have never done mountain driving don't go through the park on 441. It is steep and very curvy. I see RV's with burned up brakes nearly every time I go through there. Stay on I-40 and save yourself the stress.

This is perfectly reasonable advice. However, the poster is from Northern Idaho, so I suspect they have a decent amount of mountain driving experience.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

Which destination are you wanting to stay in....G'burg or Pigeon Forge? It makes a difference which road/exit you will need to take.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There is easily sufficient clearance for an RV along the road; no tunnel issues in that regard.

I've taken my 32' class C over it without trouble. It is a curvy and decidedly not flat route, and so not a quick drive by any means. That said, in my opinion it's neither RV unfriendly nor especially troublesome. Other routes may be better options, though, if you are solely looking to get from point A to point B.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. When I saw the tunnels on GE, I wondered. Thanks again..

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Unless you want to go into the park I would take the fast route 40 to 411 to 441. Lot easier than going over the hill.

Agreed. I-40 E to 411 South. I'd avoid 441.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO, it is not through GSMNP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it many times solo, and have commented to my wife there is no way in ___ I would pull my 36ft bumper pull thru there. Can be very steep and curvey.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you want to go into the park I would take the fast route 40 to 411 to 441. Lot easier than going over the hill.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Check your subject. Yes 441 is an ok route. Like most roads in that area it can have curves and a lack of shoulder at times. We last used it 2 years ago prior to covid 19.