cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-20 in Mississippi

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of planning a trip out west to Colorado was wondering what the condition of I-20 though Mississippi, Louisiana is like. It is mostly smooth or will it beat you to death. Iโ€™m pulling a 32 foot fifth wheel.
7 REPLIES 7

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
The two spots that trouble me are in Jackson, MS and in Shreveport. Knowing that, I just slow down. that means that 99% (a figure of speech, obviously) of I-20 is fine through Mississippi and Louisiana.

There is a good bypass around to the north in Shreveport. I think it better than going straight through.

Be aware of the bridge across Cross Lake on the bypass around Shreveport. This bridge was built to prevent liquid spills getting into the lake since it is Shreveport's drinking water supply. The normal grade of our highways being a bit lower on the outside reverses on this bridge. The roadway is lower on the left side thus allowing any spilled liquids to run to the center where it enters a drain system that runs off the ends of the bridge to a retention pond.

What does this mean to us drivers? Hold on to your steering wheel when you enter this bridge because your vehicle will want to turn left. You will have to hold a little right pressure on the wheel all the way across. It isn't a real hazard as long as you know it or aren't asleep at the switch when you enter the bridge.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
one_strange_texan wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Most of Mississippi is OK (a few bad spots here and there). I-20 through Louisiana, especially around and through Shreveport, is one of the worst roads in the country. I-8 across southern Louisiana is about the same, too.

Rob

I agree with most of what you said, except for the part about I-8. Interstate 8 is in Arizona & California, connecting the Phoenix area to San Diego as I-10 bears off to the northwest to connect to Los Angeles.

I believe it is I-10 in Louisiana you are referring to. I think it Is rougher than I-20, especially around Lake Charles, not to mention the construction on the long Atchafalaya bridge.

Oops! You're right. (And, yes, I was thinking of I-10 in Louisiana.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Most of Mississippi is OK (a few bad spots here and there). I-20 through Louisiana, especially around and through Shreveport, is one of the worst roads in the country. I-8 across southern Louisiana is about the same, too.

Rob

I agree with most of what you said, except for the part about I-8. Interstate 8 is in Arizona & California, connecting the Phoenix area to San Diego as I-10 bears off to the northwest to connect to Los Angeles.

I believe it is I-10 in Louisiana you are referring to. I think it Is rougher than I-20, especially around Lake Charles, not to mention the construction on the long Atchafalaya bridge.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
NO I-8 in La
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies trying to get routes figured out where I donโ€™t get beat to death like I-65 and I-59 around Birmingham, Al does to you

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The two spots that trouble me are in Jackson, MS and in Shreveport. Knowing that, I just slow down. that means that 99% (a figure of speech, obviously) of I-20 is fine through Mississippi and Louisiana.

There is a good bypass around to the north in Shreveport. I think it better than going straight through.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015