cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-29 closure, Northern Missouri and Iowa

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ventured north on I-29 in Northern Missouri and eastern Iowa? I-29 was shut down again in NW Missouri recently. I wonder how much of a pain the detours are around the flooded areas. We are headed to Sioux Falls next week and I don't foresee this interstate opening up by then.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
10 REPLIES 10

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps is not current. MODOT shows I-29 closed as far south as Amazonia, so I'll have to take 71/59 up just outside of St Joe. I'll check MODOT, IDOT and NDOT road conditions the day before we leave but it looks like the floods are still impacting most of 29 in Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska. I may have to take back roads all the way to I-80.

The wife made it the Kearney, Nebraska yesterday taking 36 and 72 up to HWY 2 and said the traffic volume was moderate but slow. Getting stuck behind a farmer or local on a 2 lane road doing well under the speed limit made for a slow trip.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
IA DOT web site shows 2 closed both ways at I29, not to mention I29 is closed north and south at hiway 2 as well. You would need a boat to be in this area.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
narcodog

Yes HWY2 from Nebraska City west is open

Thanks, I always stay at Sapp Bro's then head west to bypass Omaha. There was some terrible flooding there earlier with Sapp Bro's having water up to their eves.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
narcodog

Yes HWY2 from Nebraska City west is open
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
For the east side of the Mo River detour, take I29 north to Craig, MO. Then exit to Hiway 59 north and travel that north to westbound Hiway 34. 34 will intersect with I29 at Glenwood, which is open for a bit northbound at that point.

As you approach Co Bluffs, bypass the I29 closure north of CB, take I-80 East from CB to I-680 West and that will intersect with I29 again and you will be good to SXF.

Neither one of these will add a whole lot to your trip, other than traveling on 2 lanes a bit.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 2 between Nebraska City and I-29 is still closed. The 229, 36 to 75 route takes you up the west side of the Missouri river. It's a great alternative if you need to head to Nebraska but 29 is still closed in sections north of 2 past Omaha. I'll have to find an eastern route to bypass Omaha. I had planned o stay in Sioux Falls overnight but may change plans because of all the detours caused by all the flooding.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
We just traveled the detour route yesterday. Took 229 out of St Joe then hwy36, to 75 north. At Nebraska City take hwy 2. The roads are good for the most part 4 lane but there is a two lane portion however traffic moves very well. Getting through Lincoln was a different story however. If you stay on 2 you go through the middle of town, there are signs for I 80 stick to the left and you miss down town. We did not and it was a mess.

So hwy 2 at Nebraska City west is now open. When I head to Montana I go through there.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We just traveled the detour route yesterday. Took 229 out of St Joe then hwy36, to 75 north. At Nebraska City take hwy 2. The roads are good for the most part 4 lane but there is a two lane portion however traffic moves very well. Getting through Lincoln was a different story however. If you stay on 2 you go through the middle of town, there are signs for I 80 stick to the left and you miss down town. We did not and it was a mess.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I posted a link here yesterday, there were only 4 ways across the Missouri at that time.

Found it, thanks. The photo in the article is Hwy 2 near Percival, Iowa. We have stopped there countless times in the past 20+ years traveling to and from KC and my DW's hometown in Nebraska. It very sad to see so much damage caused by the flooding.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted a link here yesterday, there were only 4 ways across the Missouri at that time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper