cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 from East to Apache Junction

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done the trip, Phoenix to Holbrook through Payson and then up 260 to 377 to I-40 with a TT, and also through Flagstaff up I-17 with the TT and neither was a big problem.

This time it is Winslow to Apache Junction in a 36 DP with a toad. There is no rush but I also do not want to be relying just on the brakes or engine brake coming down into Phoenix. My current debate is Holbrook, 377/260/87 and then 202 loop east to Apache Junction or go Winslow and then 87 all the way down to 202. Over to I-17 seems too much out of the way and from my memory I-40 is a sorry road needing repair.

We will be actually coming from Meteor Crater RV Park.

Are there any recommendations on the trip and why?

Thanks
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
4 REPLIES 4

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham; you were correct in the shoulders are narrower or non existent but the rout is doable. Only problem we had was a bad semi accident just before Bush on one of the 6% grades that took an hour to clear.

Thanks for the help.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
You already know that 87 between Payson and Mesa is plenty of long but gentle grades. If you are comfy with that I'd just do as rk911 says, and run 87 the whole way from Winslow. That upper section is really not as hilly, though the shoulders are narrower.
I ran that in a DP+toad several times without a problem.

Cut off 87 at Bush Highway north of Mesa, down to 202, to save yourself a few miles. That road has been resurfaced and is fine.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, we've come across from Havasu in the past so the traffic in Phoenix is not a problem.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i'd avoid I-17 if possible. us? I'd backtrack to Winslow and use 87 to University Drive on Mesa (becomes Superstition Blvd in AJ).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle