cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-70 vs I-80 road condition, which is better.

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're heading out to Richfield, Utah area in a couple months. I'm wondering which road is in better shape, I-70 or I-80? It's only about 100 mile difference. I planing on I-70 thru the tunnels. Pulling a 45' 5th wheel with a dually.
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!
14 REPLIES 14

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
in5r wrote:
I have somewhat the same question. How do road conditions between 70 and 80 compare between Indiana and Denver. We just came back from a trip out to Denver without the 5th wheel on I80 then 76 into Denver to 70. I80 had some terribly bumpy areas in multiple areas. One in the Chicago area could probably launch you into a low earth orbit if conditions were just right. 76 in Colorado had its issues as well. We are heading out in August with the 5th and wondering if I70 might be worth a thought. Once again only very recent experiences not years ago.

Have travelled back/forth between Colorado and Indiana several times, destination in NE Indiana (Fort Wayne area). Using that as a marker, I take US 24 west to I-57, I-57 south to I-72. I-72 turns into US 36 at Hannibal, MO and I stay on US 36 across MO and KS, and on in to CO where it meets up with I-70. Particularly on US 36, this is a much better route IMHO. The road surface is better, the traffic issue is a non-issue and for me, it's just a better experience. Small towns (especially in Kansas) about 30-40 miles apart, doesn't slow you down that much and gives a good leg stretching break or fuel stops.

Thom gives Sage advice here - ^^^^^^^^ - RT 36 is just fine, but we tend to take a Diagonal before Colorado state line to get back to I-70 as the roads in Eastern Colorado don't get much Love and the surface on I-70 is new till you get to the city of Denver - then you need to be smart on timing as rush hour is just SLOW.

Also note that there are many options in small towns with WalMarts or in town small $20 parks Hays and Ellis come to mind.

When you get to Denver we always take RT 54 to RT 6 out though the Canyon following Clear Creek to I-70 and Idaho Springs. My welcome to Colorado Just Beautiful and Easy pretty much same drive time.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
in5r wrote:
I have somewhat the same question. How do road conditions between 70 and 80 compare between Indiana and Denver. We just came back from a trip out to Denver without the 5th wheel on I80 then 76 into Denver to 70. I80 had some terribly bumpy areas in multiple areas. One in the Chicago area could probably launch you into a low earth orbit if conditions were just right. 76 in Colorado had its issues as well. We are heading out in August with the 5th and wondering if I70 might be worth a thought. Once again only very recent experiences not years ago.

Have travelled back/forth between Colorado and Indiana several times, destination in NE Indiana (Fort Wayne area). Using that as a marker, I take US 24 west to I-57, I-57 south to I-72. I-72 turns into US 36 at Hannibal, MO and I stay on US 36 across MO and KS, and on in to CO where it meets up with I-70. Particularly on US 36, this is a much better route IMHO. The road surface is better, the traffic issue is a non-issue and for me, it's just a better experience. Small towns (especially in Kansas) about 30-40 miles apart, doesn't slow you down that much and gives a good leg stretching break or fuel stops.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Was just one I80 last weekend at the bottom of Lake Michigan, I'd take a different road but no choice for me. Road construction, bumps, traffic. Might be better as you get near Iowa.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

dedmiston
Our kids went to university in Laramie and we drove the 80 many times. Wyoming is such a gorgeous state, but you really don't see any of the beauty from I-80. It's long and monotonous and it feels like it will never end.

The winds are predictably horrible, and it can storm as late as May and as early as September. It snowed every year for finals week in May and we got snowed in when we visited for graduation.

Most recently we dipped down into Wyoming in late September to dodge an early snow storm in Montana when we were heading west from North Dakota. We should have dipped further south than we did, because the drive on I-80 was horrible. The winds stopped all truck and RV traffic for hours. It was still blowing when we got back on the road, and somehow a gust got inside our bedroom and blew out our large bedroom window. The window wasn't broken or damaged, it was just plain gone. All of the papers and receipts on my dresser beneath the window were still there, but the window was missing. We had to finish the cold trip with plastic duct-taped over the window, which was pretty chilly when we got snow in Nevada.

Not that the I-80 should be avoided all the time, but Wyoming is a rugged state with a pretty short summer and harsh winters.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll just go out on 70.
Not too worried about the mountains as this truck should do a lot better than the 30' gas powered Class C pulling 16' trailer with two atv's we took through there 15 years ago!
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
We prefer I80 because the passes are not as high and you don't have to go through Denver. There is more truck traffic and the cross winds in Wyoming can be tricky. If you use a Garmin GPS it will show you elevation changes on your route. We prefer the long gradual climb but that is just us.
Same here if my destination is further West. Of course I take 70 if my destination is Colorado.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cities are largely a wash...Denver vs Salt Lake City.

It's a long way thru the plains either way.

As long as your truck is set up to do the climb west of Denver, I would take that route.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
OverNightSensation wrote:
We're heading out to Richfield, Utah area in a couple months. I'm wondering which road is in better shape, I-70 or I-80? It's only about 100 mile difference. I planing on I-70 thru the tunnels. Pulling a 45' 5th wheel with a dually.

In Colorado on I-70, 3 climbs to deal with. The first is the climb out of Denver up to the Evergreen area and then the Floyd Hill descent outside of Idaho Springs. Second is the climb up to the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels and the (somewhat long) descent into the Summit County towns. And finally the climb up and over Vail Pass. 11000+ feet for #2 and #3. Your rig should handle it fine. Just be aware of the slow traffic that you'll encounter on all 3 climbs. You can handle it; others maybe not.

I-80 in Wyoming, the high point is outside of Laramie at ~9600 feet with a drop into Laramie to ~7200 feet. That high point is the highest on all of I-80, coast to coast. It's a gradual climb from Cheyenne to the summit and the descent to Laramie is only about 5 miles or so. West of Laramie is a lot of rolling terrain and as pointed out, the winds can be tricky. But there's no significant elevation changes.

Your choice as to which you would be more comfortable with.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I 70 when going under Chicago, especially during commuter times and weekend travelers.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer I80 because the passes are not as high and you don't have to go through Denver. There is more truck traffic and the cross winds in Wyoming can be tricky. If you use a Garmin GPS it will show you elevation changes on your route. We prefer the long gradual climb but that is just us.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your pick. We've run both and either will get you going west. Lot of trucks on 80, maybe more than 70. Trip trip through Denver area on 70 is always a pain. I might drop up and head further west on 80. Interesting sites and history in the Cheyenne/Laramie area. Rock Spring has grown so much it is almost unrecognizable from when we first came through 20 + years ago.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I try to avoid going east in Kansas.

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I've always picked I-80 if possible, but I'm sure there are others here with much more experience than me.

I hate going up and over and Denver traffic...