cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I 76 into Denver

BECKS
Explorer
Explorer
We will be taking I 76 into Denver to I 70 headed to Moab, UT. Anything we should be aware of.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle
7 REPLIES 7

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of construction on I-70 west of Denver. Lots of paving and road closures. We were delayed about 2 hours due to the construction. We were heading eastbound towards Denver in September.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
There is some major road construction around Idaho Springs
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
BECKS wrote:
We will be taking I 76 into Denver to I 70 headed to Moab, UT. Anything we should be aware of.

Rough road (76) as many have said, if you are not in a big hurry and enjoy driving on black highways look at sliding off I-70, just out of Denver and taking exit 265 - Rt 58 to Rt 6. this is a beautiful drive that follows Clear Creek to Idaho Springs and rejoins I-70, A drive we always take and goes through 6 tunnels as you follow the Creek up to Idaho Springs.

When you enter Utah look to get off I-70 on exit 214 to take Rt 128 along the Colorado River into Moab.

These are two drives I will never drive too often Just BEAUTIFUL!!!

Last but not least the I-70 over under just outside of Glenwood Springs has some great pullouts along the Colorado River.

I could go on and on but just a couple of highlights for you.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BECKS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, we will try to hit it around noon. Sad that those still working are always in such a hurry.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
BECKS wrote:

As noted, lack of services. Julesburg, where you get on, Sterling next, then Fort Morgan...not too much in between. From Ft Morgan on in to the Metro area, you'll find more services.

Road surface can be a bit bumpy, but they did some construction on it in the recent past, so not as bad as it was. More of the "porpoising" than anything, even when driving solo.

Traffic will be fast, so keep that in mind if you're like most of us and tend to be in the 60ish range. Speed limit is 75 and most cars will be doing more like 85, so keep an eye on those specks in your mirrors as they get rapidly closer!

Once you get into the Metro, particularly west of I-25, the road surface is...interesting. Sort of buckles and bows in places, particularly around and between Pecos/Federal/Sheridan exits (each about 1 mile apart). Speeds will also decrease some, though not a whole lot, but it's depending on the traffic volume. Where I-76 merges with I-70 to just about to Golden, you'll have 5-6 lanes to choose from, goes down to 3 lanes in the Golden area.

One accident, however, is a game changer and traffic slows to a crawl. And accidents can be frequent. Heads up for that!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-76 in the early morning can be bumper to bumper traffic by Denver.We go to Golden twice a year. I-70 is a really nice ride. Enjoy your trip.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
It is a little rougher than I-80 in stretches. Also not to many good services until almost into Denver. But overall, a good drive.

Good Flying J at exit 107 I believe on I-80 just before the I-76 turn.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!