cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-80

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip back east to visit the relatives in June. Wanted to take a northern route this time to see some different scenery. Wondering about what the road conditions are traveling through Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa on I-80. Destination... Davenport.
Bad sections? Construction? Delays?
Any help and advice appreciated. Class C motorhome.....without a toad.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b
10 REPLIES 10

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Hi just wanted to report on I80 in Wyoming (currently on it!). Road conditions are good. There’s construction going on both ways so it goes down to 1 lane each way a number of times between Laramie and Rawlins so it does slow down a little but but everything still stays moving at a decent pace. Windy as usual!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

htss
Explorer
Explorer
It has been about a year and a half since I drove I80 almost all the way across Nebraska. It is good interstate except until you get into the Omaha area. There were some really rough spots for about 5 miles and then it cleared up again. That area was also under construction so with any luck it will be smooth sailing the whole way for you.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a different sight----I-80, Dix Nebraska (exit 29, I think), has a real ACTIVE Minuteman Missile silo about 100 yards South of the freeway-look for a sani hut tied down with cable and concrete block. This is a somber place, but one that shows we are still protecting the homeland. This is supposed to have 3 warheads, each containing 170 KT worth of payload(each about 11 times the power used in Japan).
We stopped there and took pix last week.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 in Wyoming is fine, they actually maintain it pretty well (we're heading west on it on Wednesday, then back east on Monday!). Your biggest nemesis there is the wind but you'll be fine in your Class C, we did it last summer with no problem with our big 5er. Also since there's quite a bit of miles between truck stops between Rawlins and Laramie, be sure you keep an eye on your gas. We usually top off in both locations just to be safe. There is also one steepish grade between Cheyenne and Laramie, but again you'll be fine, I've only ever seen older vehicles/RVs with issues there. Like Thom said, you'll probably get a nice tailwind since you're headed east.

I also haven't done the Nebraska portion in about 8 years, and that was in a car, but I don't recall it being bad conditions or anything...just very very boring.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion Bumpyroad....but we will spending most of our time in Monmouth.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a campground in Davenport, I always stayed on the North side, IIRC Interstate campground, just off 80. on the south side there was a campground built around a couple of small ponds.
bumpy

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info. We are looking forward to it. I lived and worked in Davenport, very near the I-80 truck stop for about 10 years.....as a very young man. Quite a number of years ago...to say the least. lol Good times and good memories though.
We were back there two years ago....but we traveled I-40 and Route 54 that time. Thought we would try something different this time, and go further north.
I grew up...as a kid...about 75 miles from Davenport... in the small town of Little York, Illinois. (pop. 350)
My brother and parents still live in Monmouth, Illinois. We will be there for my mom's 85th birthday.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ah!!!!! The I-80 Truck Stop near Davenport, Iowa! The ONLY truck stop I ever stop at! Well, my daughter no longer lives in Iowa, she moved to Kansas City, so it may be a long time before I get that direction again.

Last time I drove I-80 through Iowa, the roads were marvelous .... especially compared to Indiana's horrid interstates!

Enjoy your journey! Make sure you stop at the I-80 truck stop and get a candy bar for me!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Expyinflight wrote:
Planning a trip back east to visit the relatives in June. Wanted to take a northern route this time to see some different scenery. Wondering about what the road conditions are traveling through Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa on I-80. Destination... Davenport.
Bad sections? Construction? Delays?
Any help and advice appreciated. Class C motorhome.....without a toad.

H E R E - Wyoming is the website for Wyoming road conditions, and H E R E - I-80 Wyoming is the specific link for I-80 conditions at any given time. It will have up to date information on projects scheduled for your drive dates. Right now, there's no closures/advisories/restrictions on I-80. This is primarily for weather related closures.

H E R E - I-80 Construction is information on construction projects on I-80 across the state. Notable is construction between Cheyenne and Laramie, with a couple of projects on-going through October.

The good news about Wyoming is, since you're headed east, you likely won't have to deal with a headwind going that direction. Might have a bit of a tail wind.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 in Iowa is in pretty good shape. Expect traffic to pick up between Iowa City and Davenport.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS