Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I10 closure near Blythe, CA

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
clicky for info

I need to get to Wickenburg, AZ this Wednesday for a funeral and was looking for a good alternate route from Ontario, CA. Any locals to this disaster area who might know an alternate route please share.

Thanks
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB
14 REPLIES 14

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
Budster wrote:
On my return trip I took the 10w and had no problems getting through, it was about 1015 when I drove through. I did have to slow down to 45 mph (as posted) but never had to stop. It seems they are checking/fixing other bridges too (good idea).

Thanks to all who replied to this thread

Thanks for this update! Exactly the info I was looking for!

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
On my return trip I took the 10w and had no problems getting through, it was about 1015 when I drove through. I did have to slow down to 45 mph (as posted) but never had to stop. It seems they are checking/fixing other bridges too (good idea).

Thanks to all who replied to this thread
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Reopened today
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all who replied. Today I traveled the 60E to the 10E then headed north to Yucca Valley, 29 palms, etc. Traffic was not bad, had a couple of slow downs for trucks but not as many as I thought there might be. Made it to Wickenburg in 5 1/2 hours. Saturday I will try the 10w all the way and see how it goes where all traffic gets one lane on the 10w side. 🙂
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with a local last night and 62 is open and they have lots of traffic going through Yucca Valley.
Out of Ontario, I would think I would take the 15 as surely it is open now and then grab the 40 in Barstow

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from the North Rim yesterday and here is the traffic conditions.
Got off 40 at Needles took 95 south to Vidal. That's where we 1st noticed heavy traffic. 62 west was not to bad just more traffic than usual. When we got to the 177/62 intersection, more trucks joined 62, east to Joshua Tree wasn't to bad but lots of semis and slower than usual, lots of pissed off drivers doing dumb stuff, just be careful of the other guys, there more of a problem than the roads. 62 is in good condition...
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Road Closure updates

Dear Rand McNally customers:

As you are likely aware, a bridge collapse in Southern California late Sunday afternoon has forced the closure of Interstate 10 east of the Coachella Valley.

Rand McNally is in the process of releasing emergency construction files for our various navigation and mileage products to assist during the closure. Since I-10 is a major thoroughfare between Phoenix and Los Angeles, traffic is being re-routed in various ways: For example, some truck-legal alternatives are 1) US-95 to Interstate 40, 2) I-8 to CA-111(SR-111) to Route 86, and 3) SR-177 to SR-62.

Here is a link to the official California DOT PDF

To get the construction update on your GPS device, you must connect to the Rand McNally Dock. To update tablets, connect to Wi-Fi. You will see the closure in the directions list on routes that include I-10. Tap the incident to detour, or tap the map to set an avoid. We will keep you apprised of changes as they occur.

Thank you,

The Rand McNally Support Team
==============================
CAL TRANS ALERT
COMMUTER ALERT
15-132a
Date: Monday, July 20, 2015 District: 8 – Riverside/San Bernardino Contact: Philip Havins or Joy Schneider
Phone: (909) 289-8827 or (909) 383-4631

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE TURN AROUND – D ON’T DROWN!
INTERSTATE 10 CLOSED NEAR DESERT CENTER

RIVERSIDE – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is alerting motorists that Interstate 10 (I-10) closed between Route 86 and the Arizona State Line at approximately 2:30 p.m. today after a severe storm caused a section of the interstate to collapse. I-10 eastbound collapsed and the westbound direction was severely undermined at Tex Wash (Adair Overcrossing), about 44 miles east of Route 86 (Coachella) and 42 miles west of the Arizona State Line.

Caltrans Structural engineers to conduct damage assessment at the location of the collapse along with other surrounding washes and structures along this section of I-10. Once the damage assessments are complete and the repairs are determined, more information will be released along with an estimate as to when the interstate may reopen. An emergency contract will be necessary to make the repairs to the interstate.

Motorists are advised to avoid travel on I-10 until further notice and use other detours routes such as Arizona Route 95 to Interstate 40 (I-40), Interstate 8 (I-8) to State Route 111 (SR 111) to State Route (SR 86) 86 or State Route 177 (SR 177) to State Route 62 (SR
62) to access I-10.

If you plan to travel in desert regions of Riverside or San Bernardino counties, please be prepared for severe storms over the next two days. Carry sturdy shoes, warm clothing, water, a charged cell phone, and ensure that your gas tank is full. If you encounter running water – turn around-don’t drown! Two feet of running water can lift a large vehicle or bus and six inches of running water can sweep a person away.

I-10 is a major goods movement route and carries local destination, domestic trade, as well as some longer haul international cargoes. It is one of the largest arterial roadway systems to play a critical role providing “last mile” connections to regional ports, manufacturing facilities, intermodal terminals and warehouses, and distribution centers. Traffic volumes along I-10 between Coachella and Arizona average about 27,000 vehicles per day.

Follow Caltrans District 8 on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Caltrans8 or go to our website at www.caltrans8.info. View traffic conditions at http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov.
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with djgarcia. Call and find out ALL the details.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give yourself extra travel time (2 hrs X-tra)......I-10 Eastbound traffic detour using HWY 62 to Yucca Valley thru 29 Palms to HWY 177 and back to I-10

Also alternative detour for eastbound is HWY 111 to Brawley then Hwy 78 back up to I-10 *or El Centro...I-8...Hwy 95)

Traffic will be backed up regardless.

Same routes being used for Westbound traffic at Quartzite/Blythe
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with DJ... CALL and see what else is going on that didnt make the news. I have been getting FFA's (Flash Flood Alert) out of Las Vegas and south for several days, so this storm is not just a S.desert event. I've also been that route through Yucca Valley after a far less serious storm and the place was a mess.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses (appreciated) I think I will follow gemsworld advice.

gemsworld wrote:
I suggest taking taking Hwy 62 through Yucca Valley, 29 Palms to Parker, AZ and catch Hwy 72 to Bouse and then get on Hwy 60 to Wickenburg.
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Budster wrote:
clicky for info

I need to get to Wickenburg, AZ this Wednesday for a funeral and was looking for a good alternate route from Ontario, CA. Any locals to this disaster area who might know an alternate route please share.

Thanks

strongly suggest calling or go on line Calif. Transportation road Info and same for Ariz. to get the latest road conditions.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem out there right now is no one seems to know the condition of the secondary routes through the area. So you may tr US Routes and the ma be washed out. SO unless you get first hand info from someone who has just driven it I suggest getting up to I40 to KIngman.

However there was some video floating around of rivers damaging things near Wickenburg. It washed away some RV's as well
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I suggest taking taking Hwy 62 through Yucca Valley, 29 Palms to Parker, AZ and catch Hwy 72 to Bouse and then get on Hwy 60 to Wickenburg.