cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I10 Fl. to Ca.

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about spending December and part of January in southern California. What kind of weather can we generally expect that time of year traveling from Florida to Borrego Springs and back?
12 REPLIES 12

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
It is a matter of luck. North Texas and NM can have some cold weather and snow in December. Timing is everything on a trip like that. Watch the weather and be ready to layover for a day or two if necessary.

I-10 doesn't go that way. You're referring to I-40
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
The Lake Charles I-10 bridge was built in 1952 by Earl Long's administration. Earl was the younger brother of Huey P. Long. It is narrow and steep and not built to interstate highway standards. I would suggest going around it due to the those conditions as well as the general curviness of I-10 going through Lake Charles proper. However, the alternate, I-210, is disadvantaged by widening on the Calcasieu River bridge, which has it down to 1 lane each way. Highway construction in Louisiana proceeds at its own pace, which I liken to the movement of a glacier.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
You will be too busy getting beat to death by the the terrible I10 road conditions to worry about the weather. After a 5 week trip that included a lot of I10 I would find another route if it were me, even if it meant driving more miles.
IMO, the road conditions on I10 are no better or worse than any other interstate----except in LA. There's a 30-40 mi. stretch of I10 in LA where the concrete slabs are off-level from each other to the tune of 2-4". Every 40-50 ft. your rig is slammed up and down. I've driven this same, messed-up stretch of I10 since the 80's. Find it mind-boggling they've never taken the time to repair it after all these years.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^^Actually driving across the I-10 Lake Charles bridge is no issue. The problem is that many people think it is about to fall in the river, based on engineering reports. If you have to drive through Houston at rush hour use loop 610 or Beltway 8 (toll).
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I have made the drive from Tampa FL to Yuma AZ twice a year since 2008. That would be 4400 miles round trip, and I almost have I-10 memorized. In comparison with other interstates it is not bad. Louisiana is tough as I had my rear bedroom window shatter from the rough road.

The bridge someone mentioned is no big deal.

Weather can be unpredictable. I wouldn't worry about the snow as you can easily anticipate it coming to you. Wind is a bigger issue - especially in the west Texas to Arizona stretch. My dog and I spent three days in a Louisiana hotel as snow had closed the Interstate during on January trip.

Houston, San Antonio and El Paso are all horrible due to crazy traffic. I tried to time my drive so I would pass thru early AM before rush hour.

It took me three and a half days to drive. Usually towed my Honda. Watch fuel state in West Texas as they can be far between where you can get drive a big rig into.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We did the drive from CA to FL a couple of years back in January and basically took I-10 the whole way. It was cool weather and we had some freezing issues when we were in the middle of Texas. But nothing really to write home about.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
You will hit some rough roads at Sulphur Louisiana (whoop de doos) and Orange Texas (construction). Also the I-10 high bridge over the Calcasieu River at Lake Charles Louisiana is rated as one of the worst bridges in the US. Some companies require employees to use loop 210.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
You will be too busy getting beat to death by the the terrible I10 road conditions to worry about the weather. After a 5 week trip that included a lot of I10 I would find another route if it were me, even if it meant driving more miles.

I have to say, I don't recall the stretches of I-10 where you are likely to encounter winter weather (namely West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona) having "terrible road conditions." I went through a stretch of that (San Antonio to Phoenix) last year and didn't experience any bad roads. The rough parts of I-10 I've experienced are in the Deep South, excluding Florida.

Since I-10 hugs the southern border starting in West Texas heading west, any route diversion would be to the north and more likely to have winter weather.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Between San Antonio, TX and Tucson, AZ, there will be a possibility of brief snow/sleet storms that are usually fast moving but make for slick roads for a day or so. Just pay attention to weather reports.
you will probably sail right through with no trouble at all.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a matter of luck. North Texas and NM can have some cold weather and snow in December. Timing is everything on a trip like that. Watch the weather and be ready to layover for a day or two if necessary.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can to to the Weather Channel and get the averages for any city in the country for any month.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)