cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idaho to Texas

dstuart000
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from Pocatello, Idaho to San Antonio, Texas the last part of June. Looking for the most user friendly route. Will be pulling my 26 ft trailer and traveling 65mph so freeways won't help a lot for speed. Needing to get there as quickly as possible as I only have so many days off from work and daughter is having a baby. Want to spend as much time as possible with new grand daughter and grand sons. Thanks
Started with campershell and tent in 1980,
1 camper and 4 trailers later,
2009 Jayco 25 RKS,
2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel
2 REPLIES 2

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We drive this route often, as we work near San Antonio for oil companies. Our route is I-84 to I-15, south to US-6, east to US-191, like Ray USMC said. From there, we differ, in that the fastest way is US-491 from Monticello to I-40 in Gallup. I-40 east to NM-6, west of ABQ to Los Lunas, then I-25 south to I-10 and then east to SA. If we push it, we can do the trip from Boise to SA in 3 days, but prefer to do it in 4. PM me if you want info on places we stop en-route.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
dstuart000 wrote:
We will be traveling from Pocatello, Idaho to San Antonio, Texas the last part of June. Looking for the most user friendly route. Will be pulling my 26 ft trailer and traveling 65mph so freeways won't help a lot for speed. Needing to get there as quickly as possible as I only have so many days off from work and daughter is having a baby. Want to spend as much time as possible with new grand daughter and grand sons. Thanks

Either way you go will take roughly the same time. It boils down to the choice of whether you want to cross the Rockies or not.

To avoid steep mountain roads as much as possible go I-15 to Salt Lake City Utah then head over to US 6 at the city of Spanish Fork. US 191 to US 285 to I-10 which will take you to San Antone.