cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IN/OH to Tallulah Gorge State Park

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be traveling from Richmond Indiana which is on the IN/OH border to Tallulah Gorge State Park in Georgia. Once I get to Knoxville I'm so undecided which way to go. I'll be towing a 13' tall, 35' fifth wheel. Who's been there from the north? I need suggestions!!
6 REPLIES 6

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting that we were just at MC yesterday. Full, except acouple really tight small sites up on the embankment. Moccasin Creek is on a cove on Lake Burton with a trout hatchery next door on Moccasin Creek. Free fishing for seniors and kids in the creek. Sorta close in, but we have stayed there numerous times over the years. Problem lately has been finding a site for more than a couple of days. Forget anything on a week end until late fall.
The George is OK, but nothing like Moccasin Creek.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. Rolling out this morning and looking forward to the trip

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
A third for the suggested route. I take 441 when I go to FL but go around the National Park. It is some stop and go being secondary road but it's the best way to go. There are no issues and it is good road for the most part. There are some hills between Waynesville and Franklin but not too bad.

You want exit 27, the Smoky mtn expressway (74) that bypasses Waynesville proper. Follow the signs to Dillsboro and 23. Any thoughts on overnight stops?

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
I would second the above suggested route.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I-75 to Knoxville. I-40 east to US 23 Waynesville south to Clayton, GA. 23 and 441 are good mostly 4 lane roads... do not take 441 through GSMNP.

I like Moccasin Creek SP on Lake Burton more than Tallulah.

That route is pretty much what Waze and Google said. I am not familiar with any of the area once you leave 40 so I was hesitant to venture that way without hearing from someone familiar with the road and that tows. LOL

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I-75 to Knoxville. I-40 east to US 23 Waynesville south to Clayton, GA. 23 and 441 are good mostly 4 lane roads... do not take 441 through GSMNP.

I like Moccasin Creek SP on Lake Burton more than Tallulah.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...