cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian Tribal road closure of federal highways ????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Is there a "map" or website that shows where the Indian tribes have closed state and federal highways. I understand that the Blackfeet have closed all roads around East Glacier NP and the Sioux (?) have closed a number of roads in SD

I am trying to plan a trip this summer.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
10 REPLIES 10

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
sunfan03 wrote:

Thank you for the reference! Need this when we trek through the Badlands. Do you think we'll have any issues drycamping in Badlands in May?

Not if you stay on good paved or gravel roads. Avoid the dirt roads if there is rain in the forecast. If it rains and you used a dirt road to get to the spot you chose, wait until the road dries out before trying to leave. It only takes a day with sun. If you can't wait, don't go there.
There is a couple on Youtube that got stuck on a great spot right outside Badlands NP because they tried to go on a wet dirt road with a big 5er. They rutted the heck out of the road, and pretty much laughed it off. I refuse to watch another of their videos. Idiots screwing things up for everyone else tends to rile me up a bit.

One more thing, bring blankets, you just never know....
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
SD511.org for South Dakota. They are listed as a "Civil Emergency" and don't actually show the road closed, but yes, the roads are blocked as of now.

Thank you for the reference! Need this when we trek through the Badlands. Do you think we'll have any issues drycamping in Badlands in May?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Indians can't close Federal highways, they don't own those.

Not entirely true.
They can not close an Interstate, but they can close Interstate entry/exit points on their land for health and safety reasons so long as it's not a connection to another Interstate or barred by agreement. They also have the right to close or restrict travel on any road on their land if it's specifically for health and safety reasons.

In many states, such as Arizona, the nations have agreements in place to keep most roads open for thru travel. Odds are you will be able to travel along those roads if going through a tribal community, just access off that road may be restricted. Most secondary native roads can be closed by the nation as they see fit, be it labels as a state or county numerical road.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just plug it into google maps. It will either eliminate unsuitable routes or warn you.

We passed thru one in SE arizona. The federal highway was open but they set up check booths at all the local cross roads.

By later this summer, it's unlikely most will still be closed so trying to plan now is unlikely to show what will be open in 4-5 months
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
SD511.org for South Dakota. They are listed as a "Civil Emergency" and don't actually show the road closed, but yes, the roads are blocked as of now.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
Did they close the highways? Or just access to side roads into tribal lands?

July 2020 Press release

And the bottleneck won’t disappear anytime soon. Tribal leaders recently announced they would keep the eastern entrances and roads to Glacier, which lie on reservation land, closed at least through August.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Indians can't close Federal highways, they don't own those.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
here is a map that may help. Click on blue symbol in the area you want.

NM highways

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the state Dept of Transportation. Here in NM they provide an online map of all closures. https://nmroads.com/mapIndex.html? The state and US roads are not closed but some tribal roads are and some are not. Generally the roads are open but you cannot enter the pueblos (get off the state/fed without a reason) unless you are a resident.
Turret Class traveler

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Did they close the highways? Or just access to side roads into tribal lands?