cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indiana to DC

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to DC (Cherry Hill Park) from Indiana next week. We live on I70 and had planned on taking it all the way but Google and the GPS has us dropping down to I68 via 43 South of Pittsburgh.

It is 13 miles and 17 minutes faster the Google way. I do know going south to 68 would get us off the toll road faster saving a few bucks towing the trailer.

Any comments from those who have driven it?
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are going the 79/68 route, be sure to fill up and take care of all necessary "activities" before you hit it as facilities are or at least were lacking.
bumpy

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
I (born and raised in Indiana, now live in DC) prefer 68 over 70 any day. As long as your rig can handle some slight grades (I have a 2004 P-32 with Chevy 8.1 and a toad and do just fine) it is a much preferable route. 70 traffic can go from irritating to apocalyptic with just one accident, and the truck traffic on 70 is very thick. 68 has better scenery as well.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
I have family that lives near Washington, Pa. I drove through there this past Friday. There is road construction in Washington where 70 meets 79. This is for about 2 to 3 miles. The road splits and the left lane has Jersey walls on both sides,while the right lane has a Jersey wall on one side. The right lane backs up due to merging traffic and the off ramps. Once you get passed that part then it opens back up for your right exit towards Morgantown (I-68). There is a 9% grade heading towards Coopers Rock but there are 3 lanes. The other grades are 6% grades. Once you get passed Negro Mountain then it's smooth sailing.
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to Maryland/DC area a few years ago we used I-79 and I-68. I wanted nothing to do with the turnpike in an RV. Crossed the turnpike to many times while stationed in NJ. I found the mountains or hills, which ever you want to call them not a problem for us. Our biggest problem was an accident on I-68. We set and crawled for awhile, but got thru it. I am one that does not plan my route to to much detail. I use an Atlas for the shortest and best way for me. No electronic route planning software or GPS for this old codger. JMHO.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Looks like 70-79 to 68 may be the way to go. I'm towing well under my trucks capacity and just had new brakes put on the trailer so I'm not too concerned about the hills.

Dutch, we always travel with paper but it is always good to compare with the electronic maps.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just checked it in MS S&T and it has you drop down on I-79 to 68.
bumpy

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We lived in Indiana for 37 years (right off I-70 as well). Our daughter went to college in DC. We always went the way DutchmenSport went. I liked the roads and it was better than the turnpike. BTW, DD was just here in July and she went back on the turnpike (she lives in VA now). Said there was a lot of construction and going that way was a mistake. But that's been a few months ago. I never liked running the narrow lanes of the turnpike with the big rig, but that's just me.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the Army stationed at Fort Belvoir, VA. I drove home several times a year and I remember driving I70 out of Indy, to I79, to I68, to (I70 again), and then I270 around DC and to Alexandria, VA. It was a 10 hour trip one way and it was in the family car, not towing anything. Roads don't change, they only get pot-holes! It was a good route as I remember. We've been back to DC a few times, but by different routes going North or South on the Eastern Seaboard.

Suggestion: Throw out the computer and use a paper map. Makes better sense. Then compare with the electronic version.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
leaddog wrote:
If you want to take I-68 you need to exit I-70 East of Washington, PA on I-79 South. You will have some steep hills on I-68 but it is a great road.

either way is fine but towing heavy I would stick to I-70 because of the hills on 68. if snow is in the picture, I-70 might be better plowed, etc. for later in the year.
bumpy

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
leaddog, Google maps has me getting off at exit 37a going south on 43 to 68. It looks like a major highway but I don't have a clue, never been that way.

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to take I-68 you need to exit I-70 East of Washington, PA on I-79 South. You will have some steep hills on I-68 but it is a great road. We take that route all the time when we are heading East.

You can avoid the steep hills if you stay on I-70 to the PA Turnpike and then exit at Breezewood, PA and catch I-70 again. One long hill on I-70 but not as steep as on I-68.

Have done the trip both ways and prefer I-68 due to less traffic and better roads.

I don't know where you got 43 South of Pittsburgh in your directions. US 40 is in the area but it would be very slow taking that route. Long stretches of two lane road, towns, hills, etc. Scenic but I would not take that route.

Enjoy the trip to DC. Beautiful city. Lived in the area for almost 50 years.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD