cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is early May too early for I 90 across N US?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are wondering if we will have freezing & snow if we leave WA May 1 & head for SD Badlands & the NE US. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

dedmiston
We were snowed-in in Laramie when a storm closed down I-80 in mid May after our daughter's graduation from UWYO. She said it snowed there every year during finals week.

It didn't ruin our trip, but it slowed us down for a day.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my friend who lives in Rapid City says that they have had snow in every month but one.
bumpy

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It should generally be okay, as the others have said. Once past the Rockies the chances of any significant snow are quite close to zero.

I-90, being one of the most important transcontinental transit routes, in general gets cleared of snow as quickly as possible when it comes. If you're willing to be a bit flexible in delaying a leg of the trip, you could go at most any time of the year, even the dead of winter, and usually avoid seeing much in the way of really nasty travel conditions.

There is a chance that next winter will be colder and longer than typical due to the recent volcanic activity. I doubt it will be another 1816 (the year without a summer), thankfully.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The high country may get snow that late but I-90 isn't that high, and usually won't get much snowing May.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were once the last vehicle allowed across Vail Pass on I-70 in Colorado due to a blizzard... on the 2nd of May. I-90 is north of I-70 last I checked.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That would be a good time. Would need to keep an eye on weather over the passes in Idaho and Montana.
You cannot trust Mother Nature any time of the year!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker