cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is my coach too big?

2inAlabama
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 42 ft coach. Is this too big for camping in Canada and Alaska?

How about camping in the lower 48? We have been denied access to only a few parks. Is this typical? Thanks.
Just DH & DW
'01 Foretravel U320 42 ft ISM450
15 REPLIES 15

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
How well does your rig do without 50 amp shore power? The good news is that you rarely need to use air conditioning up here. The bad news is that 50 amp service is not that common up here. I remember a few years ago reading about someone with a large rig on a caravan trip who was furious that the caravan's itinerary only included sites with 30 amp hookups.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed in a couple of provincial CG's last summer in Jasper Natl Park. At one particular park we were told that their largest sites only accommodate up to 36'. Since I have experienced that in the past, I asked if I could ride my bicycle around the CG and see if there was something I could fit our 40 footer into. They said sure, as long as I realized that the motorhome would have to be completely off the road and the tires had to be on the paved pad.

I rode around and found two sites that I could easily fit our 40' into because the rear end was able to overhang the back of the site and still keep front and rear tires on the 36' paved pad. In fact, there was room enough to park a car in front of the RV, although I wasn't towing anything at the time.

My point is, even though CG's have a certain length of pad, it is worth visually checking to see if a larger rig can fit into the sites and not be blocking the access road or parked on surrounding vegetation(off the paved pad). No harm in asking if you can look at their sites.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
You'll miss out on fitting in some places, and some places only have a few spots you'll fit in, so if they're full you won't be able to camp there. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. Reservations will be your friend.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:
We had no problem all last summer in our 45' rig traveling with a family member in her 42' rig. Maybe a little issue at a particular campground on a particular day, but nothing we couldn't work around. Go for it!

I would guess that's the best answer right there. As a caution, probably nothing you aren't aware of, there are quite a few towns/cities in Alaska where it won't be overly fun to drive a 40+ foot rig just through the streets, etc. Again, nothing that can't be tolerated /worked around, but be aware of it.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
The key is to scope out parks before you arrive. We don't have a 42 footer but we still look for parks with good access. We use www.woodalls.com and they have a "big rig" search function. Once we decide on a couple of options, we look them up on www.rvparkreviews.com to choose. I look at their website to see what they say about their sites (pull thus etc) Then I look up the address on google maps earth view and zoom to see the entry and access. Many sites like www.recreation.gov and www.reserveamerica.com show the sites and lengths. We have been all over the US and into Canada (not Alaska in our current DP) and have never had a problem finding sites. We did rent a Class C in Alaska and found many parks that had sites that could easily fit a 42 footer. We also used Milepost for the Alaska trip.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
explorenorth wrote:
You've apparently put a lot of miles on the rig over the past few years, so I don't really understand the reason for the question, though - you obviously know the answer.

How did you determine such a thing? And how does this post move this conversation forward? And if they knew the answer then why ask it here?

A lot of assumptions on your part and I for one am wondering what the purpose was of your post since apparently YOU knew the answers?

Good Grief...

Warr_Eagle_
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
You've apparently put a lot of miles on the rig over the past few years, so I don't really understand the reason for the question, though - you obviously know the answer.

RUDE!

2inAlabama
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:

We just bought this coach last year, have only driven it about 5k miles. Previous coach was 36 ft.
Just DH & DW
'01 Foretravel U320 42 ft ISM450

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends brought their 45' to Canada and Alaska last summer with no campground issues. I have to say though their MH was soo covered with dirt, we won't be bringing ours to Alaska.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problem all last summer in our 45' rig traveling with a family member in her 42' rig. Maybe a little issue at a particular campground on a particular day, but nothing we couldn't work around. Go for it!
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No problems whatsoever for the lower U.S., Canada, Yukon and Alaska. In addition, there are awesome spots just to pull off along the road to spend a night.

Purchase Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon, also.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands of coaches the size of yours cruising around Canada and Alaska. There are some parks you can't get into (some I can't even get my 32 into) but lots you can.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
AK more than Canada but still possible. We've done both the Maritime and Rockies of Canada without any problems in our 42.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...