cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kalamazoo, MI to Gulf Shores, AL

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
For many years, I've always headed east to I-69, south to I-65 at Indianapolis and on to Alabama. Google Maps/Waze want to route me west towards Chicago, I-65 south to US41/I63/I-69 (at Evansville), to I-24 to Nashville and I-65 to Ala. Time-wise it's about the same and distance is slightly shorter (not much).

Has anyone taken this route? If so, how are the roads, especially 41/63? Taking a new route after 25 years on the old one might be interesting. Driving a class A with toad. Thanks for any input.
8 REPLIES 8

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Check your settings. The only way I can get google maps to give the US-41 option is I select "avoid highways" option. Otherwise, it's between I-69 and US-31.

Might be set to avoid tolls. The bridge at Louisville on 65 is tolled.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check your settings. The only way I can get google maps to give the US-41 option is I select "avoid highways" option. Otherwise, it's between I-69 and US-31.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the main new thing in the last 25 years is that US31 in Indiana is divided limited access.

I69 Indianapolis to Evansville is also newish, but with, I think, still some gaps - that's a work in progress.

Take GMaps suggestions as just that - suggestions. For the most part they aren't based on "what's best for your rv", but rather a mix of distance (an objective measure) and speed (at best an estimate), yielding a "time".

Use Sat view and Steetview to get more details as to the road condition (and views), but for construction areas note the dates of the images. I uses these a lot, but more for western mountain driving.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
After you pass Birmingham, Al on I65 find a place to stop & see what has shook loose on your rig...I65 thru Birmingham is horrible..but it's the shortest route.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,JK, that's the info I was looking for. Think I'll stick to my usual route.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
You donโ€™t want any part of 41. Traffic lights are common. I see no reason not to do 69 to 65 or just 69 to 24. Minor discontinuity of 69 at Indy, and again at Evansville/Henderson, KY, but no big deal.

Taking 31 south to Indy would be better than 41 by a long shot.

If you do choose 69, blow the horn at me just after exit 87.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and Go Blue!

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I take 94 west to 31 south to 465 east to 65 south. that's from otsego