cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

La Veta Pass (Colorado) with old and heavy RV?

Globy
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Santa Fe up to see the Great Sand Dunes. After which we plan to head up to Denver (and beyond). We are traveling in a 1999 Rexhall Rexair 36’ (Triton V10) that is extremely heavy (full-timers with two kids). Our highest passes to date are around 8,500’ near Lake Tahoe and also Lassen NP. My husband doesn’t want to attempt anything higher…thinks our poor RV won’t support the lack of oxygen. Plus we were pretty scared recently coming down Highway 17 (Flagstaff to Sedona)…6% grade…hard on breaks / engine breaks (high RPM). With this in mind, any thoughts about the Veta Pass (9400’) West to East for us? If we don’t take that pass, looks like we have to come back down to Santa Fe to get around…meaning about 350 extra miles (and with gas prices today…yikes!). I have read several blogs about this pass, saying it is “easy”…but I would appreciate any comments with respect to our situation (older and very heavy RV).
17 REPLIES 17

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
La Veta was more exciting in a Class A at high summer circa 1976. The Dodge-powered rigs made it over, the Fords & Chebbies coughed to a halt.

Plenty of big truck wreckers sitting alongside to get them over.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Neither Poncha Pass nor La Veta Pass have the extended downhill like I-17 south of Flagstaff. That 20 mile drop down to Camp Verde is amazingly long.

I wouldn't worry about climbing either of those passes as both have quite gentle approaches all the way to the summit.

I would personally use Poncha Pass. One advantage it has over La Veta Pass is that the speed limit on the downhill side is 50 mph compared to 65 on La Veta Pass. It's easier to hold speed when you're starting from a lower speed to begin with. Once you're past Salida, the road in the canyon also has a lot of sections with lower speeds (50 mph) so much easier on your vehicle.

Thom's advises to use CO 115 does cut off the mileage through Pueblo but do be ready for a lot of traffic on CO 115 through Colorado Springs as you approach I-25. It does save quite a bit of mileage and interstate driving. Do make sure you're in the left lane as you approach I-25.

Try not to be on I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver at rush hour. Amazing how many people communte between these two areas every day.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
if your husband is uncomfortable with your rig or his driving don't do it.
he knows what each are capable of.
think of the kids if nothing else there is a lot of other place to explore

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went over La Veta Pass last week with my TT. It is probably the most gradual climb of any of the passes we encountered on this trip. It tops out at 9,426'. There are passing lanes going both directions so people can pass whenever they want.
Make sure to shift down on the way up and down. I would not be surprised to hear that you go up and down in second gear doing 35 mph. Keep the gears low and let the engine work going up and down.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Globy wrote:
Thanks again for the recommendations…one last question for all. Of the two routes from Alamosa to Colorado Springs…La Veta Pass or Poncha Pass…which would you feel is less dangerous, easier on the nerves and our old slow heavy RV…all things considered (passing lanes, grade, road conditions, curves, elevation, etc)?

H E R E - Poncha Pass is a link to driving over Poncha Pass (a few minutes into the video) and H E R E - La Veta Pass is a link to driving over La Veta Pass.

Personally I think the views are better going northbound over Poncha Pass than eastbound over La Veta Pass but that's just me.;)
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Globy wrote:
Thanks again for the recommendations…one last question for all. Of the two routes from Alamosa to Colorado Springs…La Veta Pass or Poncha Pass…which would you feel is less dangerous, easier on the nerves and our old slow heavy RV…all things considered (passing lanes, grade, road conditions, curves, elevation, etc)?

I would chose the Poncha Pass route with your RV. Mainly due to easier grade that way for your “old heavy RV”. Easier climb going up and less braking going down makes it easier on the nerves and RV. But still watch your speed going down.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
While I don’t have issues going up or down in my rig, I also don’t mind at all being behind slow RVs. Gives me time to see more scenery and shows you are being careful descending. Gear down and stab, slow way down and release. Drive on and enjoy!

Many people fail to understand same weight, same grade, it it takes a whole lot more brake to hold speed between 50 and 40 than it takes to hold between 40 and 30. Longer and harder stabs, with shorter time between can get things exciting

Globy
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Medano Creek will be flowing across the edge of the dunes near the parking lot. An interesting contrast to the dunes themselves. Prepare to wade across to get to the dunes. A little early so flow is probably still low. Never gets more than a few inches deep, but can get 50’ and more wide later as more snow melts. Web site says the creek is freezing along the edges most nights, so prepare for some cold temps. Also some good info about visiting early morning to avoid high afternoon winds typical this time of year.

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/medano-creek.htm

Globy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Truly appreciated!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Or, from Alamosa you could take CO 17 to US 285 to Poncha Springs and then US 50 to I-25. One pass south of Poncha Springs but not bad at all. Listed as 3% on CDOT. Probably easier on your nerves, and RV, that way.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/activities/poncha-pass/

^^^ This.
Alamosa and the San Luis Valley is around 7500ish feet. CO 17 is a long straight very gradual climb up to Poncha Pass at the upper end of the Valley. Poncha Pass tops out ~9000 feet give or take a few. There's a decline down to Poncha Springs that's 3 lanes, mostly climb lane for folks going south. Once in Poncha Springs, take US 50 east thru Salida and follow the Arkansas River down to Canon City. Lots of twisties but keep your speed down you should be fine. IIRC there are pull offs along the route in case traffic backs up behind you. Once you get thru Canon City, watch for the CO 115 cut off at Penrose to Colorado Springs, which skirts along the foothills and is a good drive. CO 115 intersects with I-25 NB to Denver.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
And La Veta pass has 2 lanes on the climb up on either east or west side so you shouldn't hold up traffic. Just gear down especially going downhill and keep your speed down. I've done it in 26' up to 45' DP weighing at 58,000# with toad. Enjoy your trip!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While I don’t have issues going up or down in my rig, I also don’t mind at all being behind slow RVs. Gives me time to see more scenery and shows you are being careful descending. Gear down and stab, slow way down and release. Drive on and enjoy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Globy wrote:
Thanks! The Poncho Springs recommendation seems lower (9000’) and less grade! Still not sure if our 99 V10 Triton can support the lack of oxygen (my husband’s concern). Do you know how the road conditions are there…good pavement, wide lanes, passing lanes, not too many sharp curves, etc? Also any info on how we can easily see road grades would be awesome! I keep looking them up road by road, pass by pass. Or use google maps to see elevation numbers (which I need a magnifying glass to read on my phone!).

The roads from Poncha Springs up to Denver are in good shape and do have some passing lanes. We drive that road regularly with our 5th wheel and cut off to Colorado Springs. The elevation is partly important but how fast you have to climb and descend on grade is a big factor.

LaVeta Pass from the west is not a real steep climb it is long and gradual. Overall it is not a hard pass to cross and road is good from Great Sand Dunes to I-25.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags