cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large loop aroind the Grand Canyon

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends. We recently switched from a Class C to a travel trailer and will be heading out on our first long trip in the new 23.5 foot Surveyor TT the end of March. We’ll leave and return to LA creating a giant “circle”around the Grand Canyon region. We’ll have some short stops along the way at some state parks as well but I only mentioned the major destinations below. I’m wondering if I there are any roads/routes we should avoid, be careful of, or stick to on my list below. Thanks!

1. LA to Lake Mead
2. Lake Mead to St. George Utah
3. St. George to Capitol Reef NP
4. CR NP to Moab
5. Moab to Monument Valley
6. MV to Sedona
7. Sedona to Joshua Tree
8. JT back to LA
20 REPLIES 20

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO your trip is too long and you're trying to take in too much at once. There's a lot to see in that part of the world and it's hard to experience much of it from behind the wheel.

My personal experience has been that I've enjoyed exploring a couple or three places in depth more than trying to see seventeen different ones.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Decent blog about Utah route 12 with a number of very nice pics.

http://www.texasescapes.com/Travel/Utah-Scenic-Byway-12.htm

Also, it is "Dead Horse Point State Park". I think I saw about every possible incorrect variation of this name in the thread.

Youtube videos are sometimes helpful, Long Long Honeymoon has one on the 10 tips of RV'ing in Utah, and it is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrA_QMgRlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgInZqTvGqI

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
Here's another question. If we leave Moab one day early, what is cool to do or see between Moab and Monument Valley for a day?
Camp somewhere around Blanding and check out Natural Bridges NM. Your rig won't fit in any of the sites at the CG there. Mostly a tent or truck camper campground. Definitely worth the hike down into the canyon if you're up for it. Near Blanding, check out Edge of the Cedars SP Museum.

But personally I think I'd spend the day in Moab as there's just so much to do there.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. How much time are you taking to do this trip? You can easily spend a week at Moab. From St George to capital reef you should go thru Zion Nat'l pk. Rt 12 is a GREAT drive. Goes past Bryce canyon. Must do the 'Navaho Trail' hike down into the HooDoos there. I'd skip Sedona. Just a VERY busy tourist trap. Near FlagStaff be sure to drive the Scenic Sunset crater Byway. Besides the valcano cones are some of Americas best Indian ruins to be found outside of MesaVerde.
One piece of advice...Trying to cram too much into ONE trip can spoil the whole trip. I'd only do this much if I had 8 weeks or more.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
Unfortunately we are already booked in Moab March 29-31st at Canyonlands RV Resort. We discovered too late about the Easter Jeep Safari. We have specific reservations before and after Moab and aren’t sure what to do. We also don’t want to miss Arches and Canyonlands NP.

Canyonlands RV Resort sent us an email a week ago warning us it would be busy. We looked at other RV parks in and around Moab and discovered they are all full as well that week. Any recommendations on where to stay that will allow us to see Arches and Canyonlands without staying in the middle of Moab? We certainly prefer quiet.
As you have discovered, it is virtually impossible to secure a campsite at that time. You might be able to secure a first come, first served BLM campsite on Easter morning as many will be leaving then. US 191 heading north out of Moab is very busy that morning.

For lots more info on Moab, check out this thread I put together a few months ago.

WOW! That's an amazing resource you have put together in that thread you so kindly linked to. Sincerely, thank you for the time and care you took putting that post together.

Here's another question. If we leave Moab one day early, what is cool to do or see between Moab and Monument Valley for a day?

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
Unfortunately we are already booked in Moab March 29-31st at Canyonlands RV Resort. We discovered too late about the Easter Jeep Safari. We have specific reservations before and after Moab and aren’t sure what to do. We also don’t want to miss Arches and Canyonlands NP.

Canyonlands RV Resort sent us an email a week ago warning us it would be busy. We looked at other RV parks in and around Moab and discovered they are all full as well that week. Any recommendations on where to stay that will allow us to see Arches and Canyonlands without staying in the middle of Moab? We certainly prefer quiet.
As you have discovered, it is virtually impossible to secure a campsite at that time. You might be able to secure a first come, first served BLM campsite on Easter morning as many will be leaving then. US 191 heading north out of Moab is very busy that morning.

For lots more info on Moab, check out this thread I put together a few months ago.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
Any recommendations on where to stay that will allow us to see Arches and Canyonlands without staying in the middle of Moab? We certainly prefer quiet.

Stay where you are. It will be very convenient with less driving.

The RV park won't be your problem - since you are going to be there at that specific time, the crowds outside of the RV park might be an issue for you.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
At the top of the Devils Backbone we encountered a warning sign that read:

Warning 18 percent grade next 4 miles with steep curves. They put that sign there for a reason...
As others have pointed out to DC before, there is no 18% grade nor a sign indicating such. It is a 14% grade, still steep but not 18%. Plenty of big rigs on that stretch of road.

Make sure you have reservations for Moab that time of year as it is their busy season. Also, don't schedule yourselves to be there the last week in March as that is the Easter Jeep Safari Week. Wouldn't wish that zoo on anyone.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Went ahead and booked Dead Horse. Closer, cheaper, and more our style. Thanks ya’ll!

We will be stopping at Valley of Fire SP on our way to St. George from Lake Mead. That’s one of those smaller side trips I didn’t include in my original list in the first post. Looks like a cool place.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Try and work in the Valley of Fire State Park, NV on your way from Lake Meade to St. George. A special hike would be the Fire Wave.

I think Dead Horse State Park would be more convenient to tour the area. Old Town Cottonwood is interesting.

On your way from Cottonwood to Sedona, take the road to Red Rock State Park and continue on to some great views of Cathedral Rock. This road will take to back to 89A and on to Sedona.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
We were planning on taking the 15/20/89/62/24 to Torrey from St. George. Any issues with that route?

That's the best way to go. Definitely 20 vs. 14 to get to 89. 14 is very steep - much worse than Hwy 12 (which we love with our 40' MH) :).

For Sedona, stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. It's an easy drive to Sedona and a much more relaxing, quiet place to stay. Sedona is hectic. You'd also be a few miles from Jerome - definitely worth a visit.

Thanks! We currently have reservations just across from Montezuma Castle NM at Distant Drums RV Resort. Would it be worth switching to Dead Horse? Looks like Dead Horse has about three more spots for our dates.

We are looking forward to Sedona. Never been. I hear it's lovely. I think we'll likely return for a longer stay in the future.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
We were planning on taking the 15/20/89/62/24 to Torrey from St. George. Any issues with that route?

That's the best way to go. Definitely 20 vs. 14 to get to 89. 14 is very steep - much worse than Hwy 12 (which we love with our 40' MH) :).

For Sedona, stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. It's an easy drive to Sedona and a much more relaxing, quiet place to stay. Sedona is hectic. You'd also be a few miles from Jerome - definitely worth a visit.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Lots of good opinions here to consider and digest. Always a help!

Since this is our first MAJOR trip in a TT, my goal is to keep things easy and safe. If I were in my old Class C, I would likely choose 12. We have been to Bryce and Zion many times in the 24ft Class C so we will be bypassing them this time. Plus the snow in Bryce will likely still be heavy at 8000 plus feet. We were planning on taking the 15/20/89/62/24 to Torrey from St. George. Any issues with that route?