cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving out of Gold Canyon, Which way to Flagstaff?

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
So, the question is I-17 or State Road 87 to Flagstaff. Here's the particulars. NOT IN ANY BIG HURRY. We've been up I-17 in previous years. There's a long upward pull that I watch the fuel gauge drop almost in front of my eyes.
I'm 40 ft pulling a 30ft car hauler trailer. (No I don't need any lessons on Length)The total rig is 40K pounds and we're currently in Gold Canyon. What would be your suggestion and as stated above we're not in any hurry.
Thanks in advance for your response.
7 REPLIES 7

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
The Payson route is very scenic, especially HWY 3 (Lake Mary Road) from Clint's Well to Flag. (Watch for elk in the late afternoon / early evening!)

Most of the grade on 87 is four-lane and not much different than the grades on I-17, HOWEVER there is a short stretch of two-lane climbing out of Payson to the top of the Mogollon Rim that is two-lane and a bit twisty-turny. Not sure what that would be like with 70' of rig. Check google maps for a visual.

From the top of the Rim on to Flag is two-lane but smooth sailing.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Ellsworth to Bush Highway to 87. Turn at Clints well onto state route 3 (Lake Mary Rd) to Flagstaff.

There is an 11 mile grade heading into Payson. It is 4 lane, divided. From Payson to Pine/Strawberry there are a few shorter grades but aren't bad. After that it's fairly flat to Flagstaff. Very scenic drive.

Check weather. Snow is forecast today and later in the week. During day time hours it probably will be to warm to stick on the roads.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
In a car or standard RV we usually go Payson, Happy Jack, and Flag.
I had no problem with my 38 foot DP towing a CRV.
At your length, I might revert to I-17.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Use Google Maps to route the trip. Then change to Bicycle mode (icons across the top). Scroll to bottom of text directions and you'll see an elevation graph. Look at both routes. (Note...this is on computer, not phone app which I don't know if the same display.)

I often try to take different sections of route on our trips around the U.S. where we've been before.

As others note, just be sure to check the weather and road conditions before you go......AZ511.com or call 511 for road conditions/closures.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roughly 182-185 miles either way
Roughly 40 minutes longer via 87

Recent storms have dropped snow (Payson---north to Flagstaff)

87 is more scenic
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Been a number of years since I been there, and not in the RV, but 87 is about the same distance and certainly more scenic. But as I remember lots of winding curves and ups and downs and narrow two lane with little if any shoulders. Ultimately you still have to climb the same total in elevation. But I think due to ups and downs there will be more total up hill towing and more fuel usage.

Take a look at google maps street view to get an idea of the highway.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If your going to go to Flagstaff, your going to go thru the mountains.