cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lexington to Seattle/with stop in Idaho

jmac
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on picking up I80 near Lincoln, NE going west to Idaho/Salmon before going to Seattle area. Never been that route. Whats that section of I80 like, big pulls?anything good for sightseeing, road condition?????
At this point we will have traveled about 2000 miles on this summer trip. Any info would be appreciated.

Jerry & Judy McDonald

MOLLY (THE BASENJI) Now R.I.P

Verizon cell & broadband

2003 DP Escaper 3979/330 cat MH
PT
http://jerryjudytravels.blogspot.com

7 REPLIES 7

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 across western Nebraska and Wyoming has heavy traffic and not much scenery.

A suggestion for some better scenery and a lot less traffic for a part of the trip: If you are on I-80 in Nebraska, then from Grand Island take Highway 2, a good road with nice scenery through the sand hills. Several towns along the way have city campgrounds that are perfectly nice and also inexpensive.

Continue west to connect with I-25 in Wyoming and then to I-90, or north into South Dakota to I-90, which takes you to Seattle. The scenery along that part is actually pretty good.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 93 north of Salmon has good pull to Lost Trail pass, and then a grade down to the valley that leads on to Missoula.

From the east I think you'd have to go out of your way to find a significant grade. The only one I can think of is Teton Pass out of Jackson, and no one has to take that.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
The thing about big pulls is that it's all downhill after that.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

jmac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to Salmon, ID ,the town, we go there every summer, but never from the east. I am okay on pulls, just wondering , and if I can avoid them I will, without going to far off my route.
When I get over to I15 probably take the 30 to Pocatella, then I know the roads pretty good.
Thanks everyone.

Jerry & Judy McDonald

MOLLY (THE BASENJI) Now R.I.P

Verizon cell & broadband

2003 DP Escaper 3979/330 cat MH
PT
http://jerryjudytravels.blogspot.com

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clarify the Salmon reference: Idaho/Salmon`. There's a small town of that name, on a river of the same name. The town's out of the way for a cross country drive (on NS US93), and most of the river is in Wilderness, the largest area without roads in the lower 48.

Why do you ask about big pulls? Which ones have given you problems in the past?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You habe to cross the Rockies near the WY, UT border. Then I84 is not bad until you get to the Ochocos near LaGrande. Once your down to the Columbia basin you pick up I82 to I90 into Seattle. There is one more climb across the Cascades east of Seattle plus some other lesser climbs on the route. But nothing that semis dont use every day.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Heavy truck traffic on I-80. Need to cut pick up I-84 east of Salt Lake City unless visiting there. You would need I-84 toward Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.
You could stay on I-80 west across Great Salt Lake and then north on US 93.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker