cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Island to Burlington VT

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone made the track from LI to Burlington VT? Traveling in a 36 ft FW 13 feet tall. I would like to take scenic routes. Off of LI I can follow 95 East into Westchester and stay on the east side of the Hudson, or cross over at the Tappan Zee and wiggle over to the West Side of the Hudson then will have to cross back over. I am aware that I cant take the parkways in Westchester.

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Yes I am aware of the Peoples Republic of NY Tolls on the Bridges...

Thanks and Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
5 REPLIES 5

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I said west on I-95 and although that is the actual compass direction in that area, it's I-95 south to CT9. We avoid the Bruckner xway and I-95 between the NY border and New Haven like the plague. Some part of that has been under construction for some 30 years now.

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Ridgefield CT and often drive to visit friends near Rutland Vt. Our preferred route is NY RT 22 up to the Bennington VT area then cut east to VT RT 7 north. The CT Turnpike (I95) to New Haven then I91 north is not a pleasant drive in my view. Taking CT RT 7 north from Norwalk CT up thru CT, MA and into VT is not my choice either. I suggest looking at Throgs Neck Bridge, I95 north to I287 west to I684 north which leads directly into NY RT 22 at Brewster NY and you are on your way. We have camped many times both at Burlington North campground and on Grand Isle. Loved them both. The 13 mile long Burlington Waterfront Bikeway rail trail passes right thru the Burlington North campground. A very nice ride.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We live out east and take the ferry all the time. I was looking to see lower NY and or western CT Mass on way up. Ferry round trip with the TT averages $300. Gonna be more with the fiver. Saves a lot of time, fuel tolls wear and tear and especially grief. Love taking it. We travel northbound all the time, trying to go west this time.

Happy trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile's suggestion seems like one decent option to me. I've never taken the ferry myself, but it looks good on paper.

Another option that might be sensible would be to cross into New Jersey and take the GSP to I-87 N, through Albany (following I-87 rather than the Thruway). Take I-87 exit 20 at Lake George, follow NY 149 to US-4 and into Vermont, and then just over the Vermont border take VT 22A north to US 7 north. Partly it might depend on exactly where on Long Island you're starting from.

Taking I-95 to I-91 (or meandering over to I-84 and thence to I-91) is certainly doable but not much fun at all and can have pretty heavy traffic.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
The Orient Point ferry would save you about 4 hours. $3.00 a foot weekdays. From New London, go west on I-95 to CT9 to I-91.