cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memphis Delays and construction

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell us an easy way around the delays and construction in Memphis on I-40. We will be heading east on I-40 coming from Arkansas. Pulling a fifth w. thanks Deb
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
5 REPLIES 5

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Kentucky Pkwy system...I-55, I-155, Purchase pkw, I-24, WK (Western Kentucky Pkwy) to Elizabethtown Ky. It's the better route even under normal conditions.

This is our normal route. We usually go from East Texas to Lexington, KY at least once each year. Just add the Bluegrass Parkway to the above route to go on to Lexington. A nice addition, I might add.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the highway info. We are about ready to leave. Thanks everyone for all the help in planning our trip.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
There's construction both west and east of Memphis.
In West Memphis AR it's the section where both I-40 and I-55 share the road for about 5 miles. Also construction on the I-40 bridge just as you reach downtown Memphis. One option is to take I-55 bridge from West Memphis, which avoids the I-40 bridge/exit work. Although the West Memphis construction is single lane each way, it mostly just slows down to around 40-45 mph, not really stop and go.

At the east edge of Memphis, at the I-240/I-40 junction, is major construction of a new fly-over. Avoid afternoon rush hour if at all possible if eastbound.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky Pkwy system...I-55, I-155, Purchase pkw, I-24, WK (Western Kentucky Pkwy) to Elizabethtown Ky. It's the better route even under normal conditions.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I just came down I-65 on to I-40 delays all the way on I-65 from Kentucky state line through Nashville through Memphis to Brinkley, Ark. Going up a week ago there were 7 wrecks from Nashville to the Kentucky state line. Two of the delays were over an hour delay. I don't know of a better way. but I shall never go that way again.
Good Luck