cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mothers Day Laird Hot Springs.

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving up the Alcan from Phoenix area and stopped at the hot springs. I arrived about 7am or 8am forgot what time zone I was in. In the hot springs I met some fellow travelers on their way to Watson lake today. As I talked to the lady named Diane and husband Doug I felt somehow they were part of this group. The way they were traveling Watson Lake today and had to be in Whitehorse by the weekend to pick up a spouse who was joining them but had to work. They were going to be in Deadhorse for the Arctic toe dip on May 28th.

Road report I left the hot springs about 9am and drove to Haines that day arrived at 11pm I don't speed mostly 90/km or 55mph. The drive from Haines to Anchorage was good but slower in the rough spots I drove about 47mph or less when I hit the flag areas.

I an Home in Homer now for the rest of the summer I hope I get to meet these people again.
Dennis
10 REPLIES 10

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
alaska dennis wrote:
Hey lakeside I hope you don't have a New England accent. They stick out. haha.
" If something ever happened to my DW, I would sell everything, go small and disappear into Alaska. I don't mind the cold for live in far up NE and our winters are more severe then south Central AK."---Shush don't tell anybody. The winters are mild. Lots of good places to kick back in.
Homer is a place called a destination. That's what makes it special. I live just outside of town. From now till fall I will not drive into town unless I have to. Toooo many people. I can deal with the crowds if I have to but choose not.
I ramble on also sorry

Thanks Alaska Dennis. Your rambling is not a problem!

New England accent for sure.....
Ayyu....don't you know you can park your karr in the dooh-yahd. How 'bout eatin sum lobstar......

All in good fun. It catches up to you after a few years and even out-of-staters get the same slang talk coming easy to them. Some how we have trouble with the 'R's.

Lakeside

Your piece of paradise is truly exceptional. I spent a couple weeks exploring your area and even found the Kilchers homestead. I like the small town feel and Homer certainly has that, even in tourist season if you look beyond the crowds of people. I envy you having lived 32 years in such a beautiful area.
Take care.
Lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
alaska dennis wrote:
" If something ever happened to my DW, I would sell everything, go small and disappear into Alaska. I don't mind the cold for live in far up NE and our winters are more severe then south Central AK."---Shush don't tell anybody. The winters are mild. Lots of good places to kick back in.
Homer is a place called a destination. That's what makes it special. I live just outside of town. From now till fall I will not drive into town unless I have to. Toooo many people. I can deal with the crowds if I have to but choose not.
I ramble on also sorry

Thanks Alaska Dennis. Your rambling is not a problem!

Your piece of paradise is truly exceptional. I spent a couple weeks exploring your area and even found the Kilchers homestead. I like the small town feel and Homer certainly has that, even in tourist season if you look beyond the crowds of people. I envy you having lived 32 years in such a beautiful area.
Take care.
Lakeside

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in 2016 and they hadn't quite got the little Welcome Center hut up and running at the Homer Overlook rest area/pit stop. The views from there are amazing, even on the day we arrived. It was overcast and light rain. Every time the clouds opened I snapped a picture. I had to wait for a couple of tour buses worth of people to get away from the "Halibut Fishing Capital of the World" sign so my wife could snap one of me.
We stopped a few times along the Sterling Hwy western approach to look out across the water and to enjoy the wildflowers along the roadside. I live on Lake Huron, but it's a different animal altogether.
You're a lucky man, Dennis.

p.s. Thanks for having a Starbucks, even if it is inside the Safeway. We are coffee hounds, and it was a nice change to have a cup that we didn't have to make. All manual mode payment, the nice young lady behind the counter was a bit frazzled because the "computer was down", so no scanner for cards and Sbux apps barcodes.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
alaska dennis wrote:
I ramble on also sorry

That could be towards Fritz Creek/East End Road or back up the highway towards Clam Gulch. Either way, I'd gladly trade anywhere in Canada (except maybe Southwestern Alberta/Yukon/NWT/Northern BC) for a cabin out near Homer anywhere.

I live about a mile west of the scenic view before Homer. Been here for 32 years. I have some acreage off Greer road on east end rd also. totally different land. I do not spray for mosquitoes here but if I go to Greer road I carry bug spray. Now a place in alaska without bugs is heaven. haha

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
alaska dennis wrote:
I ramble on also sorry

That could be towards Fritz Creek/East End Road or back up the highway towards Clam Gulch. Either way, I'd gladly trade anywhere in Canada (except maybe Southwestern Alberta/Yukon/NWT/Northern BC) for a cabin out near Homer anywhere.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
I ramble on also sorry

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I hear ya, and same here, on all of it.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
The Laird Hot Springs is an interesting place. Will stop there again on next trip to AK.

If something ever happened to my DW, I would sell everything, go small and disappear into Alaska. I don't mind the cold for live in far up NE and our winters are more severe then south Central AK.

Someone mentioned that the lower 48 was getting too congested, with no patience from anyone. Hurry and hurry more with no respect for others space. Places we visited in Alaska were laid back, with the 'don't bother me, I won't bother you' mindset.

Like I said, I would leave all the drama behind and find a spot to finish the rest of my time on this great planet in peace. Live and then........... in a beautiful place at a slow pace.

I never really thought that I would think about dying. Years in the military, then decades in LEO lifestyle. Always thought life was something that was endless up to a point. Always thought I would fight on until I could not. In reality, no one really cares whether you live or don't. People care for what is in their immediate life and are interested, not so much, about anyone else. I accept that, but don't have to agree with it or like it. It is what it is!

Endless ramblings of a used up Marine. Thanks for listening, or maybe just thanks for letting me ramble, for no one is really interested in listening unless the story is about them.

Safe travels to all. If I passed you on this road, you knew it was me for I was the one who smiled or tried to lend a helping hand to those in need. My parents message of 'treating others as I want others to treat me' served me well.

Lakeside

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
Long run. Wish I were in Homer, heck almost anywhere in AK, preparing for summer. I keep trying to encourage my wife to get a small place there, but she can only handle the winters for so long; I can appreciate this. We lived at JBER for three years, then got transferred; it's been 4.5 years since we left and we miss it so much! The lower 48 is getting so convoluted.

Enjoy your summer, and thanks for the report!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
alaska dennis wrote:

I an Home in Homer now for the rest of the summer I hope I get to meet these people again.
Dennis

Lucky you. Wish we were spending the summer in Homer. It's an awesome trip, to a beautiful State, and Homer is a pretty cool little town.