cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mount Rushmore to Glacier NP

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
Mid June we are going to be traveling from mount Rushmore to Glacier NP anyone recommend routes and campgrounds in between , traveling in a Class A 35' towing a jeep. thanks for any info....Dan and Irene.
10 REPLIES 10

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of new pavement on 2 between Shelby and Wolf Point. I usually drop south there and take Mt 13 between Wolf Point and Circle then Mt 200S to Glendive. They are good roads also

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the obvious, I90 to I15 to US2. But there are various "diagonals" that might - or might not be worth your time.

US212 to Billings is one - it's more remote and 2 lane. Some like the time savings (about an hour), others prefer sticking with the 'main' route.

There are various routes between Billings and Great Falls, US89, US12, MT 200, US2. Just be ware of pieces like US89 that go through National Forests (unless you like mountains).

US89 to Browning is fine, but to St Mary's it gets into foothills, so is twistier. 464 to Babb is a straighter alternative.

But if aiming for the west side, you could go to Missoula, and then up.

On your mapping software, turn on 'terrain' to get an idea of the hilliness. East Montana is generally flat and open, but mountains extends diagonally from roughtly Yellowstone to Glacier.

Ive never been on hwy 2 thought we try it been down 90 many times just wanted to know if hwy 2 was RV friendly thank you .

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's nothing wrong with the obvious, I90 to I15 to US2. But there are various "diagonals" that might - or might not be worth your time.

US212 to Billings is one - it's more remote and 2 lane. Some like the time savings (about an hour), others prefer sticking with the 'main' route.

There are various routes between Billings and Great Falls, US89, US12, MT 200, US2. Just be ware of pieces like US89 that go through National Forests (unless you like mountains).

US89 to Browning is fine, but to St Mary's it gets into foothills, so is twistier. 464 to Babb is a straighter alternative.

But if aiming for the west side, you could go to Missoula, and then up.

On your mapping software, turn on 'terrain' to get an idea of the hilliness. East Montana is generally flat and open, but mountains extends diagonally from roughtly Yellowstone to Glacier.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
53 willys wrote:
Mid June we are going to be traveling from mount Rushmore to Glacier NP anyone recommend routes and campgrounds in between , traveling in a Class A 35' towing a jeep. thanks for any info....Dan and Irene.

I use the trip planner from:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Mount+Rushmore+National+Memorial,+South+Dakota~Glacier+National+Park,+Mo...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the vehicle restrictions. Any vehicle over 21 feet long, 10 feet high and 8 feet wide (including mirrors) is restricted from the Going-to-Sun Road. I've done 89 from Browning to Great Falls more than once and felt it was a decent road. If you go through Billings I've found the Costco and Sams Club there to have the least expensive fuel in the state. The Sams Club is the easiest to access and is visible from I-90 at exit 447. According to Gas Buddy right now they are both at $4.64 for diesel

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rt 2 is a decent road and basically the only road from the East Side to the West side as Going to the Sun Rd through the park, has size restrictions, height, as there is a tunnel and width as it's a narrow scenic rd. even some duallies are too wide.
Don't forget to go to Recreation.gov & get your reserved entry pass.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, be aware that you can't access the Going to the Sun road from the East side in Glacier NP if you're hauling almost any kind of trailer, or if your vehicle is beyond a 10-12 foot height. There are a few low-hanging rock outcroppings - designed this way intentionally to give the road a more scenic ride - and tight turns. Best to check this before you go. Most campgrounds are on the West side of the summit, and thus, only accessible from the West side.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
It is easiest go back to Spearfish SD and take 212 to Billings.(crow agency) to I-90 west, then 87 NNW to Great Falls, and I-15 north to 2 (Sheby) west to Glacier.
We use the good sam guide series to pick camp grounds .
Call ahead make reservations each day.

Is it worth the extra 20 miles going from Great Falls to Shelby rather than taking 44 across to 89? I don't know either road but 44 to 89 is 600ft. less in elevation and about 20 miles less. 2 does look like its a bigger road. Just curious as I'm headed in the same direction in June.
Thanks
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
An alternate route is 85 north from Spearfish up through N Dakota to highway 2, then west to Browning, then 89 up to East Glacier or stay on 2 to go around to West Glacier.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
It is easiest go back to Spearfish SD and take 212 to Billings.(crow agency) to I-90 west, then 87 NNW to Great Falls, and I-15 north to 2 (Sheby) west to Glacier.
We use the good sam guide series to pick camp grounds .
Call ahead make reservations each day.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.