cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son is broken down in Wendover, NV/UT

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
He came home to visit and is now broken down in Wendover, trying to get to Fort Collins CO. No Uber available or car rentals. They need a new alternator, and there are none available in Wendover. He needs to get to Salt Lake City to buy one, he can probably get a ride back on Le Bus. He's supposed to be back to work on Monday in Ft. Collins, CO.

Any ideas on how to get there would be appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's son's issue is resolved....some getting here late to the party.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
Napa Auto Parts - Wendover
1910-b Platau Way, Wendover 89883
Phone Number- 775-664-3416
If Carquest can't, Napa can get one.

Heck, get one online and ship it to the UPS store in Wendover.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
CARQUEST AUTO PARTS
STORE #4916

Wendover Carquest
950 State Hwy
Wendover, UT 84083
(435) 665-2254
Should be able to get one from SLC in a day.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
This is what builds character and self sufficiency. Adapt and overcome.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last time we were in Wendover, we were battling a stiff head/quarterwind across the flats from SLC. We must have gotten at best 6 mpg where we typically averaged 9.5, and wore off 1/4 of the front tires. It would have been a breeze (pun intended) to travel from Wendover to SLC, particularly in an RV with that big sail of a tail.

Regarding the patches to get across the flats - great ideas. I'll squirrel them away in case I get into a pinch!

Good to hear they made it ok.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad they made it okay!

I spent a month in Wendover TDY while I was in the AF... back in the 80's. Nothing around for miles... Guess it hasn't changed much.

We called it 'Bendover'...

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
Update - they "went for it", had someone charge up their battery in Wendover, made it to SLC and bought their alternator. I guess they put it in themselves at the auto parts store parking lot (or somewhere nearby), and had a couple of people "helping" by making suggestions about how to do it. Got home at about 3AM this morning. Both of the auto parts stores in Wendover are closed on Sunday. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
He came home to visit and is now broken down in Wendover, trying to get to Fort Collins CO. No Uber available or car rentals. They need a new alternator, and there are none available in Wendover. He needs to get to Salt Lake City to buy one, he can probably get a ride back on Le Bus. He's supposed to be back to work on Monday in Ft. Collins, CO.

Any ideas on how to get there would be appreciated.

The auto parts store in Wendover has to have all it's auto parts delivered or shipped to them on a regular basis. In my home town parts can be delivered overnight. Just have the Auto Parts store order the alternator for him.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
He is in a car, no generator.

He's going to go for it, buy a new battery, charge up the old one and see if they can make it to SLC.

Kids......
BTDT in my youth. Made it back 300 miles at night from Vegas in time to attend class 🙂
Pulled all except one headlamp and one brake lamp. Had to steal a jump in Barstow but we made it.

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Wendover isn't near anything and it's tough driving in any direction. Not the country to get stuck on the side of the road. I see a Carquest and Napa in Wendover UT/NV.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
a modern car without using Headlights or air conditioning should go 3 hours...

computer, fuel pump, injectors. everything else OFF.

best of luck to your families journey

when points instead of computer.. I went 6 hours on a single battery. got me home.
a fuel injected car, I went 150 miles with dead alternator, in winter.
again got me home.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That happened to me when I was a teenager; I ignorantly drove around for about 7 hours while the alternator was dead, wondering why the wipers were getting slower. Finally it died. I obtained & connected another battery and made it back home.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly what I would do. Buy one or two new, fully charged batteries, fully charge the old one, and head on down the road. Just swap out batteries each time the engine starts to die. I little costly, but it will get him home, or closer to help.

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
He is in a car, no generator.

He's going to go for it, buy a new battery, charge up the old one and see if they can make it to SLC.

Kids......