cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nabesna Road - Tok Cutoff of Glenn Highway

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are headed up or down the Glenn Highway on the Tok cutoff, I highly recommend you take the trip up Nebesna Road and into Wrangle St. Elias National Park. It's about 1/2 way between Tok and Glennallen and offers fabulous scenery and some of the nicest designated dry campsites you will find anywhere. The first 15 miles are paved, and this campsite is about 16.3 miles off the highway...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

5 REPLIES 5

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on driving the Nabesna Road!

Here is a link to my blog post about our driving it in 2012:
Nabesna Road
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
....and regarding the washouts; if there's a spot in the road where the stream is flowing through, the prudent thing to do is turn around and head back. Next best thing to do is walk the stream (yes, getting one's feet, knees, thighs wet as needed) and ascertain the speed, depth, bottom surface of the water stream and the surface beneath it. If one can't safely walk it, it's prolly not entirely safe to drive.

.....as noted, the Nabesna cut-off includes/leads too/goes through some spectacular country. Back in the day, one could occasionally get visited by the Ellis boys dropping in with their -18's.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
See photos of the route on my webpage at http://yukonsights.ca/20100823_NabesnaRd.html

The views on the drive past Twin Lakes are very nice

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I caught my fattest grayling ever at Twin Lakes on Nabesna Road..only 12 inches long but it was like 5 inches wide !!!!!!!

One other note to point out about Nabesna Road is that it is notorious for washouts at various spots so check on conditions if venturing out far on it, as I never made it to the end of the road in July 1997 as this washout occurred at mile 31 where I turned around (top picture) :
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)