cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some Alberta, Ca insight asap

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Currently in Jasper with a new to us 2008 Keystone 5th wheel. Still have another 10 days here and just tried to refill one of my 30lb propane tanks, but was told it can’t be done unless recertified, or replaced. My bad for not remembering that tidbit of info. So,, is there anywhere close to either Jasper or Banff where I could get replacement tanks??
I’m searching the internet to no avail.

Thanks for any assistance!!
14 REPLIES 14

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
"was told it can’t be done unless recertified, or replaced"

We were told the same thing in Whitehorse. Then we went to another place and they filled the tank no problem.

We had earlier bought a replacement tank. But the Canadian tank was too big to fit in our camper.

Kavoom wrote:
Hmmm, went to the campground store at Boulton Creek last week in Peter Lougheeed Provincial park and they filled my 20 lb for 25 Canadian. No big deal. Oh they sell full tanks too...

OP has an expired 30 pound bottle. 20's are available anywhere. 30's are not. Even 711 will exchange 20# bottles.
But 30's are mostly specific to RV's and hard to source in small towns. Have to go to the big city for that
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, went to the campground store at Boulton Creek last week in Peter Lougheeed Provincial park and they filled my 20 lb for 25 Canadian. No big deal. Oh they sell full tanks too...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The town of Hinton east of Jasper will have what you need if you are not leaving Jasper right away.
Home Hardware chain locations sometimes stock new cylinders.
A call to a supplier like Canwest in Hinton will get you info on recertification.

It’s the Labor Day long weekend....

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There's a Walmart in Hinton. What more does a camper need???:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick responses and suggestions. It was the petro Canada in Jasper where I tried to fill. He was nice enough to put 11L in but would not fill it. Think Canmore will be our best bet. If we didn’t need to run our heater so much, I wouldn’t be worried!

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
The Petro-Canada at Lake Louise sells propane. You might be able to buy a new filled tank there.

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Go to the nearest Costco and buy a new tank, less than $60 filled, certify will likely cost as much if not more.

Nearest Costco is Edmonton or Calgary.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Canwest Propane in Hinton is probably your best bet. If you are going on to Banff try Superior Propaane in Canmore.

The nearest Costco is Edmonton or Calgary.

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried the Esso or Petro-Canada gas stations in Jasper? They might sell propane tanks. Canmore (short drive east of Banff ) has a Canadian Tire store that sells propane tanks. You could also try Canmore Outdoor Power Equipment Ltd. They are a propane supplier,but not sure if they re-certify tanks. The Tourism Jasper office might be able to help. Some companies that re-certify tanks might be closed until Tuesday because of the Labour Day holiday.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the nearest Costco and buy a new tank, less than $60 filled, certify will likely cost as much if not more.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canwest Propane in Hinton is probably your best bet. If you are going on to Banff try Superior Propaane in Canmore.

Larger cities have places to get your bottles recertified.
If you are coming through Edmonton or Calgary it will be no problem.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Find a propane business and have them recertify and fill your tank. No need to buy tanks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE