cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and Improved Border FAQ's

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer

DISCLAIMER: Although I believe this information was correct when I wrote it, and may still be correct when you cross the border, you have to watch out for what I call the "Red Clown Nose Contingency" (RCNC). If your situation is the least bit out of the ordinary, you run the risk of allowing the border official to deviate from his normal routine. And no matter what the rules say, the official standing in front of you has the final say. So if he says that you have to be wearing a Red Clown Nose to get across then, unless you have immediate access to someone higher in the food chain, you better start looking for a costume shop!

So beware of the RCNC

A well prepared group!

INDEX
A) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
  1. Individual Identification
  2. Children under 18
  3. Tourist Permits (FM-T)
  4. FM-T Exemption Areas
  5. Types of FM-T

B) VEHICLES
  1. Personal motor vehicles in Mรฉxico
  2. Drivers License
  3. Who can drive your vehicle?
  4. Registration
  5. Insurance
  6. Copies
  7. Temporary Import Permit (TIP)
    1. General
    2. Mainland Mexico
    3. [url=]Baja and Northern Sonora
    4. Sonora
      1. Sonora Free Zone
      2. Sonora Only Zone
  8. 10 Year RV Permit
  9. Banjericto TIP website
  10. Canceling a 10 Year RV Permit

C) OTHER STUFF
  1. Bringing your kids
  2. Bringing your pets
  3. Boat Permits
  4. Harbor Permits
  5. Fishing License
  6. Mexican Sports Fishing Regulations
    1. Bag and Possession Limits
    2. Violations

D) Crossing back into the US
  1. Documentation for Reentry into the U.S.
  2. U.S. Agricultural Quarantine Information
  3. Prohibited Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Plants and Seeds
    3. Meat and Game
    4. Eggs
    5. Live Birds
    6. Straw
  4. Permitted Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Nuts
  5. Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, and Firearms
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown
53 REPLIES 53

travelwrytr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! That's great news and seemed the logical answer (but then ... logic and Mexico does not always go hand in hand).

Thanks for your quick response. Appreciate it!
Footloose-fancy free in a VW EVC

Visited since May 2005
(need to add to maps: Canada - British Columbia. USA - New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington.)

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Travelwrytr,
Your situation is somewhat different than that of the other poster. They had a Class A 10 year permit that also showed a car in tow. Even though the car had it's own 6 month TIP, which was cancelled when they returned to the US, it may show up when they try to get a new 6 month tip. Plus the main problem was what to do with the 10 year TIP when they sell the A. So it just made sense to cancel the RV TIP. This cleared the problems associated with having an outstanding RV TIP and at the same time removed any doubt about getting new 6 months TIPs in the future.

I've received info from some of the people that have RV's that stay in Mexico year round while the owners drive cars back and forth. They say that there has never been a problem getting the 6 month TIP's for their cars. So that appears to remove that problem.

With your situation, since B's don't normally pull toads, I'm assuming that there isn't a second vehicle listed on the RV TIP anyway. So you shouldn't have a problem getting a TIP for your car with or without the B in attendance.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

travelwrytr
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle-Toad, Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed information and subsequent questions. I think my situation was covered in a previous post - I'll quote your answer below my question.

I have a class B with 10 yr permit. Would like to leave the Class B home and drive over in another vehicle. It sounds like this will not be possible as I've never had this vehicle in Mexico.

So the only option for me would be to: sell the Class B and have the 10 yr permit cancelled by mailing the info to Mexico City? Any idea how much lead time I would need on that so I can get a 6-month TIP at the border on the way in?

And if I prefer to just store the class B for this winter, then I don't have an option for driving across?

Thanks in advance!

Quote from previous post:

a) is out, you probably will not be able to get another 6 month TIP (or quite possibly, a FMM) if the RV TIP is still in effect. A lot of this depends on the car you are driving, if it's the same one that you had when you got the RV TIP, you're probably OK. But only because they will think the RV is still in Mexico. But if it's a different car, you probably won't be able to get the TIP. It's already happened to one member of this forum. Also, since you are selling your RV, you don't want the Mexico paperwork to jump up and bite you if the new owner crosses the border and gets into an accident. That can really open a can of worms! Even if you don't give him the hologram, you set up the possibility that the new owner may want to take the RV into Mexico and register it under his name, which he can't do because you still have it registered in your name. Remember, TIPs are tracked by VIN # and registered owner, and passport #.

b) is out; taking the RV hologram to the border without the RV will get you nowhere. They cannot cancel a TIP without the vehicle right in front of them. They have to compare VIN numbers, among other things.

c) would be a correct option;

However, if I were you, I'd sell the RV and then send all the paperwork into Mexico City for cancellation. This is the method set up for people that, for one reason or another, cannot return to the border in the RV to get it cancelled.
Footloose-fancy free in a VW EVC

Visited since May 2005
(need to add to maps: Canada - British Columbia. USA - New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington.)

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to admit this, but I have absolutely no idea. I haven't used the TJ border crossing since 1971, so my knowledge of this crossing is a little dated. Anyone out there know how to do it???

At the Tecate border you can circle back towards the border crossing for entering Mexico, then pull off the road or into the pay parking lot on the US side, just before the border. Then it's just a matter of walking back across and into the Migracion office to turn in your FMM. I think that everyone has to turn their FMM in person, but don't know that for sure. They don't know where you're parked and could care less.

This is a problem at a lot of the crossings, not only in Baja but the mainland too. I may have to add the info for each individual crossing on this thread.

To that end, if anyone has any recommendations on how to turn in your FMM at the ones that are not so obvious, please post them or send me a PM.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

awfulart
Explorer
Explorer
We have not returned to Baja since Jan of 09 but hope to soon.

Wondering how one returns their FMT when crossing into california at the Tijuana crossing. It is such a zoo going north and we are pulling a 28 ft trailer?
Art & Alice - Rio Rico AZ

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
nmoeller wrote:
Turtle Toad,
The information you posted last year about returning the 10 year RV hologram is great! Gosh, you sure know your stuff! And that's why I'm asking you for a teensy bit of clarification. We have a 10 year for our Class A which, by the way, was never affixed to the windshield on advice of our wagon-master (easier to return---no scraping off). We were in Mexico in '06. Now we are preparing the RV to sell it and wondering what to do about the hologram. We won't ever return to Mexico with another RV. However, we may drive our car for which we need a permit. So do we:
a) Just sell the RV and forget about the hologram
b) Sell the RV and bring the RV hologram along with us the next time we drive to Mexico and tell them we sold the RV and show them the paperwork (bill of sale, etc)
c) Drive the RV back to Mexico and give them the hologram directly from the RV (this is definitely not the preferred option---lots of expense, difficulty, and time)

We want to be sure we won't be nabbed at the border if we are driving to Mexico and there won't be a problem getting the permit for the car. Also, we sometimes fly to Mexico and I don't expect there would be any problem with that, but thought I'd better check on that too!

Thanks for your help, O Wise One!
Nancy

a) is out, you probably will not be able to get another 6 month TIP (or quite possibly, a FMM) if the RV TIP is still in effect. A lot of this depends on the car you are driving, if it's the same one that you had when you got the RV TIP, you're probably OK. But only because they will think the RV is still in Mexico. But if it's a different car, you probably won't be able to get the TIP. It's already happened to one member of this forum. Also, since you are selling your RV, you don't want the Mexico paperwork to jump up and bite you if the new owner crosses the border and gets into an accident. That can really open a can of worms! Even if you don't give him the hologram, you set up the possibility that the new owner may want to take the RV into Mexico and register it under his name, which he can't do because you still have it registered in your name. Remember, TIPs are tracked by VIN # and registered owner, and passport #.

b) is out; taking the RV hologram to the border without the RV will get you nowhere. They cannot cancel a TIP without the vehicle right in front of them. They have to compare VIN numbers, among other things.

c) would be a correct option;

However, if I were you, I'd sell the RV and then send all the paperwork into Mexico City for cancellation. This is the method set up for people that, for one reason or another, cannot return to the border in the RV to get it cancelled.

I have the forms and instructions on how to do this if you need them. Just send me your e-mail address (we can't attach things to PM's) and I'll forward them to you.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

nmoeller
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle Toad,
The information you posted last year about returning the 10 year RV hologram is great! Gosh, you sure know your stuff! And that's why I'm asking you for a teensy bit of clarification. We have a 10 year for our Class A which, by the way, was never affixed to the windshield on advice of our wagonmaster (easier to return---no scraping off). We were in Mexico in '06. Now we are preparing the RV to sell it and wondering what to do about the hologram. We won't ever return to Mexico with another RV. However, we may drive our car for which we need a permit. So do we:
a) Just sell the RV and forget about the hologram
b) Sell the RV and bring the RV hologram along with us the next time we drive to Mexico and tell them we sold the RV and show them the paperwork (bill of sale, etc)
c) Drive the RV back to Mexico and give them the hologram directly from the RV (this is definitely not the preferred option---lots of expense, difficulty, and time)

We want to be sure we won't be nabbed at the border if we are driving to Mexico and there won't be a problem getting the permit for the car. Also, we sometimes fly to Mexico and I don't expect there would be any problem with that, but thought I'd better check on that too!

Thanks for your help, O Wise One!
Nancy
[purple]Rich & Nancy Moeller
St. Charles, IL
[/purple]

1999 Country Coach Intrigue

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer is yes.

Since 2005, when the 10 year RV TIP came out, singles no longer had to worry about getting two vehicle TIP's at the same time (which is illegal). That's because one of the TIP's is a 6 month vehicle TIP and the other is a 10 year RV TIP. The law says that you are only allowed one tip of a kind.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

sailor19
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle-Toad;
Thanks for the clarification and for the stick. One other thing that crops up for me. Can I use the same credit card for both the RV and car TIPS?

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
If your rental agreement with your sister specifies that she is granting you the right to bring the RV into Mexico, gives the dates, is notarized, and there isn't any lien-holder listed on the registration, then you should be fine.

If she does have a lien-holder listed, then you will need a Letter (on letterhead, with dates, and notarized) from the lien-holder stating that they have also given their permission for you to take the RV across the border. You will get a 10 year TIP for the coach and a 6 month TIP for the toad. (you will also need this letter for some insurance companies).

Now, here comes the tricky part; since the the RV TIP will effectively be for you (listed against your passport, along with the 6 month TIP for your toad) driving a vehicle with a VIN number registered to your sister; this means that your sister cannot get a TIP on it until you cancel the one in your name! So make sure you turn it in when you leave Mexico!!!

If your sister is planning on joining you down in Mexico, the easiest way to handle things is to leave everything in your name and your sister will just be a relation traveling with you. No use confusing things by trying to change the RV TIP to your sisters name, or having her claiming the ownership/registration after you've driven it into Mexico. Just wait until everyone is leaving and turn the TIP in then. Check my entry on "who can drive your vehicle in Mexico" for the restrictions and you'll see what a can of worms you can open up by trying to change horses in mid-stream.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

sailor19
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to cross into Mexico alone, driving a Class A with a toad. The MH is registered in my sisters name and I have a rental agreement from her, the toad is in my name. Will I be able to insure and obtain TIPs without a problem? Thanks.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Estimado Turtle Toad

The fund I believe is an aggregate of deposits accrued from USA insurance agents. The monies therefore would have to be transferred from an USA fiduciary to Mexico. A hunch tells me that an adjuster never is allowed access to the money. When a claim is finally settled the Mexican insurance company reimburses the claimant via the USA insurance agency.

Chofer is driver,

Saludos Desde Lazaro Cardenas, Michoacan

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, the Mexico officials will not care because, unless you tell them, they will not know.

However, you better read your financing contract very closely, because a lot of them state that you cannot take the vehicle out of the US without their permission. They can legally demand that you pay up in full or lose the vehicle if you get caught. I'd go so far as to call your insurance agent and ask.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Gervais
Explorer
Explorer
The Motorhome is registered in my name there is no mentioned of a lien on it,do I still need a letter saying I can travel in Mexico

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Mexbungalows,
Thank you for your clarification and expansion on the insurance issue. I have mentioned that, even though there are posters in the Banjercito office proclaiming that insurance is required (at least the one on Mex-2), I've never been asked to show proof of insurance; nor have I been able to find anything in writing that says you have to have liability insurance. You have just confirmed what I suspected.

However, there is a point that I'd like to get your input on.

You mention the "Legal Fees", which is offered by most of the bigger insurance companies. Are these funds held in the US or Mexico. I know that a couple of the insurance companies that offer "Liability and Legal" are purely Mexican in origin. Wouldn't they keep the funds in Mexico?

One other question; my Spanish isn't all that good, so could you translate "Chofers"? I'm guessing that it means "drivers".
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here