cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and Improved Border FAQ's

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer

DISCLAIMER: Although I believe this information was correct when I wrote it, and may still be correct when you cross the border, you have to watch out for what I call the "Red Clown Nose Contingency" (RCNC). If your situation is the least bit out of the ordinary, you run the risk of allowing the border official to deviate from his normal routine. And no matter what the rules say, the official standing in front of you has the final say. So if he says that you have to be wearing a Red Clown Nose to get across then, unless you have immediate access to someone higher in the food chain, you better start looking for a costume shop!

So beware of the RCNC

A well prepared group!

INDEX
A) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
  1. Individual Identification
  2. Children under 18
  3. Tourist Permits (FM-T)
  4. FM-T Exemption Areas
  5. Types of FM-T

B) VEHICLES
  1. Personal motor vehicles in Mรฉxico
  2. Drivers License
  3. Who can drive your vehicle?
  4. Registration
  5. Insurance
  6. Copies
  7. Temporary Import Permit (TIP)
    1. General
    2. Mainland Mexico
    3. [url=]Baja and Northern Sonora
    4. Sonora
      1. Sonora Free Zone
      2. Sonora Only Zone
  8. 10 Year RV Permit
  9. Banjericto TIP website
  10. Canceling a 10 Year RV Permit

C) OTHER STUFF
  1. Bringing your kids
  2. Bringing your pets
  3. Boat Permits
  4. Harbor Permits
  5. Fishing License
  6. Mexican Sports Fishing Regulations
    1. Bag and Possession Limits
    2. Violations

D) Crossing back into the US
  1. Documentation for Reentry into the U.S.
  2. U.S. Agricultural Quarantine Information
  3. Prohibited Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Plants and Seeds
    3. Meat and Game
    4. Eggs
    5. Live Birds
    6. Straw
  4. Permitted Items
    1. Fruits and Vegetables
    2. Nuts
  5. Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, and Firearms
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown
53 REPLIES 53

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Tijuana to San Diego, San Ysidro.

Be prepared for long waits, from an hour, to more than three and a half.

Friend of mine came trough in a car, he was in line for 3 hours and 18 minutes, from before the bridge over the Tijuana river to the booth.

The construction, is going to be fiknished in 2015, so be patient.

Navegator

Sothamericatrav
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Docpage.... If you are planning beyond Mexico, you are prohibited from taking all that luggage with you, unless you want to pay the import duty. It is not considered to be within the "tourista" permitted quota. Also for each motorized vehicle there must be a owner, and a orginal title in the name of that person.

If you get into Mexico, I would stick to the borders of Mexico.

I hope I have been informative to you.

docpage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Turtle-Toad this is very helpful. best of luck and good rv'ing

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
OK, now I'll try to answer your questions.
  • The RV will have to have 10 year TIP.
  • The SUV will have to have a 6 month TIP.
  • The trailer will be included with the RV TIP
  • The scooter will probably be on the RV permit, along with the tool box, folding trailer, and golf cart.

You may have to get a supervisor to help you with this, I feel the junior guards would get confused with this set-up. They may want you to split the stuff up and put some of it on the SUV permit. If either the golf cart or the scooter have street plates on them they might want to have a TIP on them. But I believe this is wrong.

Make sure you have registration/proof of ownership on everything except the tool box. I'd make up an inventory list of everything and have it stamped, signed and attached to the TIP. Make sure you get a copy so you can show that you brought this stuff into the country from the US. This will probably be needed to get through the other border crossings without paying import fee's.

Just in case they insist that you need another 6 month TIP for the scooter or the golf cart, make sure that your wife is on the registration/proof of ownership; one person can only have one of each type of TIP (one 6 month and one 10 year). But I doubt that will happen, you are allowed up to 3 powered "toys" (scooters, atv's, etc) per TIP and the scooter and golf cart should be classed as "toys".

Of course there's always the possibility of a RCNC episode whenever you get out of the little rut these guys are used to. :B

REMEMBER; this only applies to getting into Mexico from the US. I have absolutely no idea what the Belize authorities are going to want. Or what the Mexican guards between Mexico and Belize are going to say.

Unless you are planning on spending some time in Mexico you might want to look into a document some call a Transporting or Transiting Permit. This is for people that are just transiting across Mexico to Central America and points south. I have no info on them other than some kind of document does exist.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

docpage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. To answer your questions,
1. Yes, we will bring evereything back with us.

2. The trailer and motor scooter will be 1-2 yrs old, depending on when we decide to go down.

3. My wife and my dog will be with me.

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you for Belize, but I might be able to give you some info for crossing into Mexico. But I also have a couple of questions.

1. Are you going to bring all this stuff back with you?

2. Is any of it new?

3. Are you going to be alone or will there be another adult with you making the round trip?
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

docpage
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip withen the next year or so from Texas thru Mexico to Belize and other central America countries. Will have a 42ft RV pulling a 22ft (total length 64 ft) enclosed trailer. Inside I will have a stand up tool box, a small SUV, a custom golf cart, a 150 cc motor scooter, & 4x8 fold-up trailer for towing the golf cart. What will I need to do to get into Mexico, then =into Belize etc. then back thru Mexico to Texas? The tips and web sites I have seen are a bit confusing for this type of outfit. Any info or help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc Page

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
I think we are both saying the same thing. Maybe I should clarify my terminology.

A TIP is a Temporary Import Permit for vehicles. There are many kinds of TIP's but the ones that are normally under discussion here are the 6 month TIP for pickup trucks, cars, and some OTR (Off The Road) or ATV (All Terrain Vehicles); and the 10 Year RV TIP. These may or may not be needed in various parts of Mexico. There is no vehicle permit that is needed to travel ALL of Mexico.

The confusion comes from the local interpretation of these rules. It appears that some of the border guards are allowing vehicles that normally require a 6 month TIP into the Sonora No Hassle Zone (which is correct) but requiring RV's to get a 10 Year TIP (which is incorrect). For the Sonora No Hassle Zone, the only thing required is a FMM, and then only if you are staying more than 72 hours.

A FMM (formerly FMT) is a Forma Migratoria Multiple and like the TIP comes in a multitude of flavors. The most common of these is the general tourist permit for anyone staying in Mexico over 72 hours. This is the permit that is required in ALL of Mexico and is valid for 180 days in a year. Other flavors have other rules and requirements.

I haven't been able to find anything official on it but apparently people going to PP (Rocky Point) don't bother with the FMM either, even if they are going for longer than 3 days.
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Sothamericatrav
Explorer
Explorer
that's correct, I was referring to the vehicle permit needed to travel all of mexico.....thanks

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Sothamericatraveler wrote:
THERE IS NOW A CHARGE (200-400) WHICH IS DEDUCTED FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE BORDER OR CASH (THIS WILL BE REFUNDED UPON EXIT ALSO IN CASH)..NORMANDO

ONLY if you're traveling in Mainland Mexico, NOT if you're staying in the Sonoran Hassle Free Zone or either of the Baja's. TIP's are NOT required in these areas, consequently there is no charge.

PS, please don't shout (Caps are considering shouting)
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Sothamericatrav
Explorer
Explorer
THERE IS NOW A CHARGE (200-400) WHICH IS DEDUCTED FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE BORDER OR CASH (THIS WILL BE REFUNDED UPON EXIT ALSO IN CASH)..NORMANDO

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing back from Tijuana by San Ysidro to San Diego
We whent to TJ to visit a friend, by car.
It has been a year since last crossing, if returning with an RV, Motor Home, Trailler, ETC. CBP want's all such vehicles to stay on the left lane of the port of entry, we got on the wrong lane and ended on the right lanes of the port, all the right lanes, next to the island that sell curios are now SENTRY Lanes, they are very poorly marked in TJ, and hard to determin witch lane you are supposed to be in.
The port of entry is also being refurbrished or rebuilt, lots of contruction going on, so be pattient and be carfull with the concrete barriers on both side of border. Navegator

travelwrytr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again - appreciate it.
Footloose-fancy free in a VW EVC

Visited since May 2005
(need to add to maps: Canada - British Columbia. USA - New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington.)

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
travelwrytr wrote:
It occurred to me ... will it matter to Mexican officials whether the vehicle is still in Mexico or whether it has been brought home? I'm assuming the point of the 10-year sticker is so you can come in and out freely.

Partly right; the 10 year permit allows you to LEAVE an RV in Mexico while you come in and out freely, in your toad or another vehicle. But it also allows you to drive your RV back and forth for 10 years without having to apply for a TIP for it on every trip. So, No, the officials don't care where the RV is at any given point in time; until the 10 years are up.

Of course you still have to get a 6 month TIP for your toad, and a FMM for yourself for each trip (up to 180 days in country).
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

travelwrytr
Explorer
Explorer
It occurred to me ... will it matter to Mexican officials whether the vehicle is still in Mexico or whether it has been brought home? I'm assuming the point of the 10-year sticker is so you can come in and out freely.
Footloose-fancy free in a VW EVC

Visited since May 2005
(need to add to maps: Canada - British Columbia. USA - New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington.)