cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW Florida to Waco Texas

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
We've noticed that most travelers choose the interstates sticking close to the Gulf coast....anyone tried US 84 further inland? We don't like to be in a hurry and were hoping there might be some low-key interesting places to stop in some small towns in Al, Ms and La. We'll probably be traveling end of April or first of May. Any opinions? Thanks for your input.
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi
8 REPLIES 8

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
In Waco be sure to visit the Texas Rangers Museum (cops, not baseball) and also the Dr. Pepper bottling museum. Both are very interesting. Will take most of one day to do both of them.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We had dear friends (both now gone from this Earth) who lived in Monroeville, AL. Since we visited them many times after we were RV travelers, we often traveled US 84. We often went through Brewton as we went on down to Panama City after visiting our friends.

I will just mention that in Louisiana, these is an option to go through Alexandria up to Nacitoches before re-joining 84. This is the route we most often take in that area and I would recommend it.

modomot
Explorer
Explorer
I am really glad to see this question asked. A few years ago when I was raising and showing goats I made a trip to west TEXAS for an auction and took the interstate. Highway 84 is just north of here and I think I must have crossed it 4 or 5 times on that trip. 84 is going to be the next planned trip. Not going anywhere, just going.
Tom

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled US84 from Valdosta, GA to Waco, TX a few years back. It was a great trip and really enjoyed it. Drove a Class A w/toad. Would definitely do it again.

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely have Natchez, MS and Nacogdoches, LA on the itinerary! As for Waco, we're open to suggestions and we're flexible. So US 84 is OK? We're trying to avoid interstates and minimize contact with big cities. Thanks for the info.
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a side of waco that you will be visiting? Several fun places to stay and visit.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto for Riverview RV Park in Vidalia LA, across the river from Natchez MS. Overlooks Mississippi River with paved walk along the river. You can watch barges go up and down the river. Passport America park with some half price rates. In Natchez, drive along the river and see the old Victorian homes, visit the cemetery. Very ornate graves. We read about night "ghost" tours in the cemetery with people in period dress talking about the people buried there.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have traveled much of that route over the years; not all at one time, but on various trips. Just a few possibilities:

At Natchez, MS there are two good possibilities for overnight or even a longer stay. Each different, but both good. Natchez State Park is a few miles off the route, but a relaxing place to spend the night. Crossing over the river to Vidalia, LA there is the Riverview RV Park which really is on the river. Natchez is an interesting and historical city.

We especially recommend Nacatoches, LA. The campground there is adequate: Nakatosh RV Park, but the city itself and Melrose Plantation and other Caine River sites are well worth a visit.

US 84 goes on through Rusk, TX and Palestine, TX. The Texas State Railroad runs between them. It is entirely a tourist train now, and there is a State Park at both the Rusk and Palestine ends.

In Waco, we just stayed at the Airport RV which is on the Lake. We had one of the best campsites we have EVER had in almost 20 years of RV traveling. On the other side of the same lake is the Speegleville RV Park. Both of these are excellent COE parks.

Lots more I could say, but this is a start. And I have been almost every way possible between East Texas and Florida.