cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OKC to Oshkosh, WI

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
We've been going to Oshkosh for the past 15 years. We've always gone up I44 to St. Louis, to I55/39 to Madison then HWY 151 and 41 into Oshkosh. I know this route REALLY well.

We're leaving July 13th again for OSH. But, we're thinking about trying the I35 to Kansas City route this year to try to avoid the major road construction just SW of Tulsa and St. Louis altogether.

We're looking at I35 to Kansas City, 435 around the "bottom" of KC back to I35 to Des Moines. Then take I80 East to I39 North on into Madison.

Question is....you folks that live or travel these roads, is there any major construction or hazards I should be aware of? And, are there some good rest area/stops on these roads? We know the other route and have a logbook with the places we've stayed and liked or didn't like. But we thought we'd like to try another route this year.

Amazingly, the mileage is really close to same either way, IIRC, I don't think there was 50 miles difference.

Oh, and I use the interstates as much as possible.lol
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member
4 REPLIES 4

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
If you need a campsite near the MO-IA border, I like Slip Bluff County Park near Lamoni. The road is a little rough getting to it, but it's a quiet place with a decent view and only $15.

I just noticed that there's a CG at Graceland University just west of the Lamoni exit, too. Never camped at a college before... interesting.

Thank you for the info.
We will "overnight" somewhere, but we've always just used a rest area, or a parking lot.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a campsite near the MO-IA border, I like Slip Bluff County Park near Lamoni. The road is a little rough getting to it, but it's a quiet place with a decent view and only $15.

I just noticed that there's a CG at Graceland University just west of the Lamoni exit, too. Never camped at a college before... interesting.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
WE-C-USA wrote:
The "bottom" of I-435 has a lot of construction right now. Head up the west side to the "top" then either take 152 eastbound to I-35. Or I-29 to 36 to I-35.

Thank you much. This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
The "bottom" of I-435 has a lot of construction right now. Head up the west side to the "top" then either take 152 eastbound to I-35. Or I-29 to 36 to I-35.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS