cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omaha to Mt Rushmore route through Nebraska?

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
What is the quickest/easiest way to go from Omaha to Mt Rushmore while towing a 34-ft fifth wheel? We have driven the interstate 29/Interstate 90 route before, and are fine with it, but I was wondering if there might be a quicker non-interstate route through Nebraska. We will be making the trip in June 2021 and are just trying to maximize our time in the Mt Rushmore/Black Hills area.
12 REPLIES 12

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
sljohnson1938 wrote:
i would take I29 North to I90 West. might not be shorter than others routes, but when you take interstates you can usually travel faster, less small towns to go thru. Got to be faster and easier driving.
X-2, we did that in 2015, and would again, per Google maps, I29 -I90 route 7 hrs. 51 minutes, Omaha to Alliance & up 385, 9hrs 10 minutes, of course either way can be +/- depending on the driver.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive the roads that used to be the major roads before the interstates were built. Yes they are a little slower however generally the traffic is light & the roads are much better. Having to slow down for a town with a few lights is no big deal & provides a nice change from the mind numbing monotony of an interstate.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://sandhillsjourney.com/

We are going to drive this in July 2021 on the way out west. Might as well get off the interstate and enjoy the views, something we don't mind doing at all.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My personal preference is to stay off the interstate highway system and stop at the little towns to talk to the locals and see what most people fly past. It is all about the journey AND the destination. But I am retired and can stay on the road as long as I want.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
i would take I29 North to I90 West. might not be shorter than others routes, but when you take interstates you can usually travel faster, less small towns to go thru. Got to be faster and easier driving.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
WE did it in reverse from Mt Rushmore to North Platte. 385 south to Rt 2 to 97 to I-80. Roads were good. At that time there wasn't much in gas stations along the way but were were able to get gas around Alliance.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help. It will make our planning easier.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I recommend US 2 across western Nebraska. Good scenery (Nebraska sand hills) and little traffic. There are several towns along the way with city-operated rv campgrounds that are nice as well as inexpensive.

US 2 connects to I-80 at Grand Island, Neb.

Then north on US 385, also a fast road. That takes you close to Mt Rushmore.

Neb 2. U.S.2 is in the north, it goes from Maine to Washington

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Non-interstate routes, in my experience, have never been faster.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to RoyF post.
If you use 385, there will be a fork in the road north of Alliance, with 385 to the left and 79 to the right. Left will take you through Hot Springs, and then through Custer which has a lot of rv parks and Custer State Park (a real gem)
79 to the right will take you to Rapid City.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend US 2 across western Nebraska. Good scenery (Nebraska sand hills) and little traffic. There are several towns along the way with city-operated rv campgrounds that are nice as well as inexpensive.

US 2 connects to I-80 at Grand Island, Neb.

Then north on US 385, also a fast road. That takes you close to Mt Rushmore.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to maximize your time there take the bus tour of Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)