cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phoenix, AZ to Moab, Utah

yellowschoolbus
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best and safest route to take from Phoenix to Moab in a 40ft class A RV pulling a Jeep Cherokee. Don't want to go up a real steep grade or winding road if possible.
5 REPLIES 5

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Don't want to go up a real steep grade or winding road if possible."

Nope, not possible, all of the routes proposed above involve some serious hills and lots of curves. If they bother you that much just disconnect the toad and go.

:C

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
I would take 17 to flagstaff hit 89 take it to 160 around tuba city take that to Kayenta and 163 which will turn into 191. you will find a couple good hills north of Monument Valley nothing real dramatic nor curvy. Going down into Mexican hat a good downhill and a sharp turn at the bottom by the bridge speed limit 25mph at that point go up the into town and a few more on the way to Moab but unless you plan on coming into Moab from the north not much way around them. Certainly nothing to be worried about at least in my opinion

Take this route.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're from Washington! What kinds of grades or curves worry you? US12 or 410 to Yakima? Or do you go all the way to Portland to avoid the grades over the Cascades?

There is a climb from Phoenix to Flagstaff. The rest is all 'downhill' - more or less flat and straight, on US89, US160 and US191.

US163 goes past Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods. It might be a bit more interesting. There's a bit of grade and curve where it crosses the San Juan River, and a ridgeback further on.

Other than I17 this isn't freeway, or even 4 lane divided. But there's not real mountains to cross either. The sharpest corners will be in Flagstaff when you exit I17. That exit ramp might also be the steepest grade!.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, what Goggle Maps shows is not bad, but if you want somewhat flat you can go to Las Vegas to the 15 then to the 70 then 138 to Moab, but way out of the way. No matter what you'll find a hill or a crooked road just take your time.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I would take 17 to flagstaff hit 89 take it to 160 around tuba city take that to Kayenta and 163 which will turn into 191. you will find a couple good hills north of Monument Valley nothing real dramatic nor curvy. Going down into Mexican hat a good downhill and a sharp turn at the bottom by the bridge speed limit 25mph at that point go up the into town and a few more on the way to Moab but unless you plan on coming into Moab from the north not much way around them. Certainly nothing to be worried about at least in my opinion
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS